PAF Pro tone and wiring in a model 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PAF Pro tone and wiring in a model 4

Hello, I'm wondering if anyone could give me some advice on this. So I bought a guitar today, it's a model 4 with the bridge humbucker changed to a PAF Pro. I was really surprised when I plugged it in that it didn't sound at all like I expected. I don't know this pickup but to me it sounded nothing like a normal bridge humbucker (which I use 90% of the time) and sounded much more like a single coil of some sort.

I'm not an expert on single coil sounds but it has that twangy sound I would associate with them as well as harmonics not coming out well (as opposed to a humbucker) and it hums when I use it even though the two single coils don't.

Does anyone know if it's possible that the pickup was wired wrong, or purposely in some unusual way that would make it sound like a single coil? The wiring looks pretty complicated in there because of the mid-boost preamp and 3 knobs and 3 switches. Could something just have been soldered in the wrong place or a connection left out?

Also how would anyone who uses one describe the sound of a PAF pro? Do they sound totally different to a normal humbucker?

It absolutely could be wired wrong. It could be wired with only one coil active (single coil) or in parallel (weak clean output with no hum).

I have a PAF Pro in the neck of a RG550 that's great for playing Maiden (Super D in the bridge).

I think I have a PAF Pro in the bridge of a USA ST-III. It's smooth and powerful and thick - not twangy at all.

Look up a DiMarzio wiring color chart and check the wiring.

Or even easier, plug in a short cable, get a DMM, and read DC resistance between tip and shield with volume and tone turned full up. You should get around 9K ohms. If not, you have issues.

Comment

Check the battery first.
      Sounds like its not wired correctly.
      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Thanks DonP, That's almost definitely the problem that only one coil is active. I never knew that was possible before.

I've been trying to understand the wiring for the last few hours and I've found a wiring chart for dimarzio and seymour duncan pickups and as far as I can tell it's been wired up correctly but according to seymour duncan's wiring colours. I have a model 375 with a duncan distortion (which I absolutely love combined with the preamp) and I checked that out to compare. The wiring is the exact same although the two companies used the colours differently so I think that confirms it.

So I just have to get it re-soldered now and it hopefully it'll work. I'm looking forward to hearing how the PAF Pro sounds setup properly!

Comment

Might be a good idea to check the battery as Straycat says if you think the wiring is correct. Make sure the red and white wires aren't touching anything (they should be taped off).

With the JE1200 boost, the PAF Pro should sound fine in that guitar.

Comment

DiMarzio has a different color code Black is hot white and bare is ground if its a 3 wire pick up.
            4 conductor version red is hot, black and white together, green and bare wires are ground.
            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

The PAF pro is NOT a high output model but still has some balls when pushed, the wiring for it is as follows,red to hotgreen and bare to groundwhite/black twisted together and tied back or use for coil tappingHTH?I like the pro's they are based on the regular PAF but have added presence,output,clarity and harmonics which are outstanding on the pro's Pinch harmonics or effortless when installed/wired properly, the lead tone has a half cocked Wha tone to it,think Michael schenker leads.many used these in the 80's,
              Vai
              satch
              Gilbert
              kotzen
              brett garsed
              shawn lane
              dweezil
              earl slick
              Me
              Last edited by CHARVEL_strat_81; 08-02-2012, 05:48 AM.

Comment

I don't have a spare battery around to check it with but I'm pretty sure that's not the problem. As far as I can remember when the battery goes in these it makes no sound at all. Also the other pickups are still working fine and the problem with the humbucker is definitely that it sounds like a single coil rather than just a weak humbucker.

@straycat & Charvel_Strat_81 : Yea, that's the conclusion I've come to with the wiring colours. Red-hot, Green+bare-ground, black and white together. Whereas at the moment it seems to be wired like a seymour duncan: black is used as hot, green and bare are ground and red and white are taped together. Could that result in it sounding like only one coil is active?

Pretty much all those guys are on my facourite guitarists list so I expect I'm gonna like it.

Also, it actually does sound pretty cool the way it is at the moment, just not for what I need, I can't do without a bridge humbucker!

Comment

Originally posted by mrthrash View Post
                  I don't have a spare battery around to check it with but I'm pretty sure that's not the problem. As far as I can remember when the battery goes in these it makes no sound at all. Also the other pickups are still working fine and the problem with the humbucker is definitely that it sounds like a single coil rather than just a weak humbucker.

@straycat & Charvel_Strat_81 : Yea, that's the conclusion I've come to with the wiring colours. Red-hot, Green+bare-ground, black and white together. Whereas at the moment it seems to be wired like a seymour duncan: black is used as hot, green and bare are ground and red and white are taped together. Could that result in it sounding like only one coil is active?

Pretty much all those guys are on my facourite guitarists list so I expect I'm gonna like it.

Also, it actually does sound pretty cool the way it is at the moment, just not for what I need, I can't do without a bridge humbucker!

Yes iF you have the black to hot that is why only one coil is working..Make the red hot and the black will go with the white ,twist them together and solder.(THIS IS WHAT CONNECTS THE TWO COILS ON A DIMARZIO) .
                  Last edited by CHARVEL_strat_81; 08-03-2012, 05:30 AM.

Comment

I have a Paf Pro paired with a JB in one of my 2 humbucker guitars and I like it a lot better than any of my other bridge pups including Jazz, 59 and a few different rails. I wired it with a super 5 to get inners and outers in positions 2 and 4, not sure which is which but it gives it a bit of a twang with those positions. It's like having 2 different guitars in one. I orignally had it just standard 3 way with an Evo and I liked the PP better than the Evo by far. So it stayed in, the Evo went to the parts box and I added the JB and have been happy since. Paf Pro's are awesome. Just my opinion.
                    I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

Comment

Working...
                    X