Where to buy body wood.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to buy body wood.

I have a good spare neck in the closet that I'll never find a body for which I have the plywood body that it came to me with. I was wondering where a guy could get a piece of mahoganey or alder or???. Doesn't have to be fancy as it will get pore filled and painted. Any ideas will be appreciated. Thanks.
    I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

Warmoth sells body blanks,And im sure any lumber stores can get you some.
    I want a guitar made of ALL abalone. That would be badass. All shellfish should die for my shreddage delight.

Guitar Guy 22345762.9 is Jarek...like from Subway.

Comment

Look in your local area for mahogany. Wood is not extremely expensive, but gets higher in price if you have to ship. Ebay is really not a bad place to get body blanks. If you don't want to have the hassle of planing and joining two pieces, Warmoth, Allparts, or StewMac sell them. They aren't cheap. If you find a local vendor, you will be able to buy one long board that will probably make two bodies and cost you the same as what you would get from the above mentioned places.

Comment

I get stuff locally as well and totally agree that you can often make two body blanks for the price of one prefab blank. That said, if you prefer to start with a prefab blank, here are a few additional places that may have slightly better pricing.

http://byoguitar.com/
        http://www.bestguitarparts.com/guitar-category/Wood
        http://northridgehardwoods.com/BodyBlanks.htm - These guys are great. I get my tops from them.

Sully
        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
        Sully Guitars on Facebook
        Sully Guitars on Google+
        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I'm thinking I'll have to build it myself. The neck is from an old Charvette. Which is short scale and 24 fret. It had a JT-6 and an after the nut lock on it and I want to change that to a string through tune-o. I've had this thing on the back burner for awhile and I've gotten to where I would like to build, well most of a guitar rather than buy another one. Thanks for the links guys.
          I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

Comment

any idea what model charvette? fusion scale?
            I want a guitar made of ALL abalone. That would be badass. All shellfish should die for my shreddage delight.

Guitar Guy 22345762.9 is Jarek...like from Subway.

Comment

Yeah it's either a 270 or one right around it I already have one good 270. It has the Takeushi (sp?) floyd with a standard floyd lock nut. The neck I'm building on had a JT-6 trem and a Kahler style behind a regular plastic nut. I measured it and it's a 24 3/4" scale. I love them for rhythms Especially for cool technical type jams. Hate them for leads up high on the neck, My hand is a bit too big.

Comment

I'm now wondering if it's possible to put that neck (24.75"scale but 24 fret) on a model 1a body (25.5"scale but only 22 fret)? I don't know the measurement between the neck heel and tremolo on a fusion body or a model 1a. Anyone ever heard of this being done??? If the measurements are the same or really really close I can just get the body I want? I would rather do this if it's at all possible.

Comment

Still wondering, bump.

Comment

Easy answer: No, unless you don't mind relocating the bridge (which may or may not be impacted by where the pickup is located).

Go check out the fret spacing calculator on the stewmac site (just search for fret calculator and you'll find it), punch in the numbers, and see the difference in fret spacing.
                    Sully Guitars on Google+
                    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Would the body side have to be longer or shorter? If it's the latter I wouldn't be afraid of trimming the neck back to get it closer to the bridge. But I'm betting that's not the case.
                      Last edited by tomanyjacksons; 08-05-2012, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Those answers can be found on the stewmac site. When you punch the numbers in, there are measurements for bridge locations. You can get your measurements from there and then decide what to do with your neck heel. IMO, it's less of a hassle (and more fun) to build a body for it.
                        Sully Guitars on Google+
                        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Yeah the difference is quite a bit. I went there and did some math, thanks Sully. Building a body will be the best way to go. I'm wanting to go with mahogany but I can't decided whether Honduran or African. Which would be easier on tools. Of course I'm thinking Alder would be even easier yet. Doing projects are way to hard for me to get started. LOL

Comment

Honduran will be more expensive than African. Both will be hard on tools. Spanish Cedar is in the Mahogany family, is VERY easy to cut and sand, sounds similar to mahogany, is way lighter, and is less expensive. It's insanely aromatic, though. Your garage will smell like a hope chest for some time, for sure. I like using it, tho.
                            Sully Guitars on Google+
                            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

That's not a bad idea. I like the idea of the smell too. Thanks Sully.

Comment

Working...
                              X