Paint experts - advice please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint experts - advice please.

So, I have this Ibanez Sabre, some bell-end who was going to buy it dropped it and spanged the paint all along the bottom edge. Just like the crispy shell of an M&M, it was horrific, especially as the little runt didn't have the bread for the guitar in the first place, FFS.

Anyway, I prised the money out his parents for a total re-finish, and Jay-Dee Guitars did a sterling job on it...except for the fact that the fucking hardware won't fit back on it. The pickups are mm too big to fit into the cavities (oo-er)> Now, I should have taken it straight back there and got them to sort it...but...well...y'know...I never pulled my finger out of my arse and now, it's 15 years later.

What's the procedure here to get this guitar put back together? I am terrified of touching it and a great crack appearing in the paint or lacquer, but it's time it was put back together and perhaps sold!
    So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

15 years!! Hahaha, I thought I was lackadaisical

I reckon you need a Dremel Multi... I've seen the adverts, those things can do ANYTHING

Comment

Yeah, I know what that would mean - my pristine guitar body with a fucking great big Dremmel scrape running from top to bottom where it skittered out of control.

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Sandpaper and patience?
        It's all about the blues-rock chatter.

Originally posted by RD
        ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

The hardware fit before paint and now it doesn't? How much paint was used? If its an older body and was routed for typical pickups and you are trying to put EMGs in, you may have a problem. Can you show some pics. It would take gobs of paint and clear to prevent pickups from fitting.

Comment

This happened to me when I refined my tiger charvel. I just had to use the sand paper method. The problem is the painter didn't sand down the original finish in the key areas and layed on too much clear coat
            "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

I appear to have been talking out of my arsehole. I could have sworn that the last time I saw this guitar, I couldn't get the frigging' thing together. However, the Guitar Rebuilding Fairies have been in and re-assembled it...mostly.

There is still a couple of issues - the volume and tone pots won't fit through the holes and the back edge of the trem fouls on the cavity (oo-er). Sandpaper? Really? What sort of grade? Nail file for the pots?

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Some 1000 grit sandpaper should be enough. For the pot holes, roll up the sandpaper like you would a joint and well... You can figure it out from there.
                It's all about the blues-rock chatter.

Originally posted by RD
                ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

Working...
                X