Snapping strings during pull ups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snapping strings during pull ups

Every time I use a pinched harmonic, I use either a divebomb or pull-up right after. Depending on how hard I push/pull on that arm, I often snap the string with which I did the pinched harmonic. It snaps at the trem. Am I just being too abusive or is a way to strengthen the floyd? Or is it just the way its setup? The floyd is flat and rarely ever goes out of tune. I only replace my strings when I snap them.
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

you must really wail on that bar like a cheap hooker to break a string. who the fuck do you think you are? Phil collen?
    "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Hey fuck you, bitch. You ARE Phil Collen's fat bitch sister
      Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Sounds like you may have developed a burr on the saddle if it's breaking there and not at the nut.

Either that or you're using D'Adarrios
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post

Either that or you're using D'Adarrios
          shooooooooo!!!!!!!! SHOP AND COMPARE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by wilkinsi View Post
            Hey fuck you, bitch. You ARE Phil Collen's fat bitch sister
            dont hate me because I am sexy. hate me because I am an awesome guitarist.

newc is right, check for burrs on the saddle, or stop playing Daddarios.

Comment

Are these 9's? Man up and play some 10's!

Comment

Sounds like a burr in your saddle. Or the pressure block is not pressing evenly or has a sharp spot that's cutting the string.
                GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Yeah, stop playing D'Addarios and start playing DRs, that way you'll break a string as soon as you tune to pitch...
                  What gauge are you using? I tend to use 11s tuned to Eb or 12s/13s tuned to C#.
                  It's all about the blues-rock chatter.

Originally posted by RD
                  ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

I'd try strengthening your Floyd. Try some light calisthenics to start
                    Hail yesterday

Comment

Burrs as in bits of broken string? None of that in there. Are you referring to cuts/wear in the saddles? Might have..

I don't use D'Addarios. I use Ernie Ball 9's for E tuned guitars and 10's for D tuned guitars.
                      Last edited by wilkinsi; 07-17-2012, 02:06 PM.
                      Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

Comment

Burr = cuts/wear in saddles, typically found where the strings come out of the saddle going toward the nut. Bits of broken string is knowns as "trash".

I have 11 Floyded (OFR, Schaller, and JT580) guitars wearing EB 9s and also do extreme pullups and have not broken a string at the saddle in years.

Are you using the Slinky or RPS/non-Slinky versions?
                        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I have 11 Floyded (OFR, Schaller, and JT580) guitars wearing EB 9s and also do extreme pullups and have not broken a string at the saddle in years.
                          Dito.

Olson Johnson is right about Howard Johnson's being right.

Comment

Burr = cuts/wear in saddles, typically found where the strings come out of the saddle going toward the nut. Bits of broken string is knowns as "trash".

Are you using the Slinky or RPS/non-Slinky versions?
                            Slinky's.
                            Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

Comment

I use d'addario's... I started using them because I was having too many problems with ernie ball slinky's. It seems that the slinky's took a long time to stretch and would constantly go out of tune on me... or break!

Just my experience and opinion, but I've never had problems with d'addario's. I also really like GHS strings.
                              Jackson ke3 kelly trans blue
                              Jackson Dk2m bengal with emg 81/85

Comment

Working...
                              X