Packing guitar for shipping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Packing guitar for shipping

So I've decided that it's time to say goodbye to the Neon Lady and ship her out to get a makeover. I went to a bike shop and got a nice large box that will fit the case. I plan on padding all sides of the case in the box generously with newspaper. Any advice with packing the inside of the case so that it arrives safely?

You don’t happen to have an SKB-style case that fits the soloist? If so, I’d go with that style only because the neck is supported throughout the length of the neck as opposed to the G&G type which only supports it at 2 spots. I know the G&G costs more, but I wish it supported the entire neck like an SKB. I’ve shipped guitars with both without problems, but I’ve seen more damage from guitars shipped in G&G types.

That being said, I’d make sure there’s plenty of bubble wrap to support the neck!
    "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Based on that pic, I don't think you need to crazy inside the case. The main goal is to limit movement. You don't want it sliding around. In your case, it looks like the body is locked in snug, so you are fine. It's the universal fit cases that need the most extra padding inside.

Comment

I agree with MetalDaze. Having the neck locked in place in 2 places should be more than sufficient. If you are really worried though, you could put some rolled up bubble wrap on either side of the neck where it is not supported just for extra piece of mind but it should be fine the way it is. I have shipped 20 or 30 guitars in similar cases with no issues.
        "Rule number one: In my van, it's Rush. All Rush, all the time. No exceptions. Rule number two: Nobody touch the red button. And I mean never touch the red button. Most importantly, rule number three: There's no jerking it in my van!"

Kemper 600 watt Profiling Amp
        ENGL Powerball II
        Peavey 5150 4x12 Slant Cab
        Mesa 4 x 12 Slant Cab
        Marshall 2x12 Cab

2010 Jackson SL2H Trans Blue
        1988 Charvel 750XL Trans Cherry Burst
        1989 Charvel 750XL Trans Cherry Burst Hardtail
        2011 Jackson DK2M Blue
        2011 Jackson DK2M Black
        1987 Charvel Model 2 White
        2012 Charvel Dimartini Crossed Swords
        1991 Charvel Dinky 080-SH Blue Crackle
        1990 Grover Jackson Dinky Trans Purple
        2010 Jackson Mutt Slime Green
        2012 Charvel Jap Pro Mod Candy Blue
        2006 Gibson Les Paul Custom Black
        2003 Gibson Les Paul R9 Custom Shop Reissue
        2013 Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro Silverburst
        2013 Epiphone Plus Top Pro w/ Bonamassa pups
        2014 PRS SE Custom 24 Emerald Green
        1987 Tokai Silver Star Strat

Comment

I don't think it fits any other case due to the reverse headstock. It may fit one, I'll have to check.

Comment

Fill any gaps with bubblewrap, including around the body. UPS says it's gotta survive a 10 foot vertical drop onto concrete, so pack it tight then shake it like a screaming baby. If anything rattles, pack it some more.

Just don't let the case bulge, since it'll pop the latches, and probably fracture the lid or pop the hinges.

So what's she getting? Redone in proper colors? Implants? A Cock Dragon between her tits?
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Ha ha, that one. I agree with Newc (!!)
              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I remember that one, unless there are more than one out there. Yeah stabilize the headstock with bubble wrap, enough to limit movement but not too much that the neck lifts off of the support in the middle of the case.

Comment

Don't forget to protect the pointy headstock if it is near the end of the case.
                  No honey, I have always had this Jackson....

Comment

You can double box it as well. Boxes & bubblewrap arecheap, jacksons are not.
                    Gear https://images.imgbox.com/e4/00/IxQywXkV_o.jpg

Comment

I like the implants idea. I may run with it and add a flesh light

Comment

Do not, do not, DO NOT pack around the headstock. Simply pack the body so it cannot move. If you pack around the headstock, that's a recipe for breakage, especially if the packing is tight between the end of the headstock and the perimeter of the case.

Trust me on this one.

Sully
                        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                        Sully Guitars on Facebook
                        Sully Guitars on Google+
                        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Okay, so absolutely nothing in that headstock area huh? Okay, I have 150ft of bubble wrap I saved from the last guitar someone shipped me. I'm gonna get it packed up soon

Comment

If it's in a form fitting hardshell case, I don't see a need to pack around the headstock. Pack around the body so the guitar can't move inside the case, and you're fine.
                            Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                            Sully Guitars on Facebook
                            Sully Guitars on Google+
                            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Totally agree with Sully on this one. LEAVE the headstock alone. Just fill in any gaps around the body so it can't shift. I like to use microfiber cloth so it won't scratch the finish. You can use your finger to find the spot where you need to fill and fold the cloth and stuff it in the gap. Once the body's tight that's all you can do. Once you put the case in the box put as much bubble wrap as you can and mark the top of the guitar with "This End Up" this will help a little from the shippers dropping it on the head.
                              Last edited by veemagic; 07-17-2012, 06:37 PM.
                              "I have so much gayness at times. My wife walks in my music room, and there I am, in my undies, listening to "Sister Christian" while lighting fireworks..doin' blow." - Bill Z

"I leave off the back plate and pinch my forskin between the tension springs. That may not work for everyone. But I find that the people love it. Half the tone is in the pud." - Bill Z

Comment

Working...
                              X