Seymour Duncan Recommendations for a 86 Soloist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seymour Duncan Recommendations for a 86 Soloist

Having Mike Learn re paint my 86 Soloist Custom and want put some Seymours in it when I get it back. Had EMG 81/85 combo which was good but am liking the SB-6 I have in my Explorer and am thinking of getting a set for the Jackson. I like to play thrash and heavy stuff. I do some drop D tunings as well. Trying to look on SD's site is fine but wanted to hear some first hand reviews if anyone has thoughts on their setups. Thanks.

Duncan Custom. I have it in my RR1T and get tons of compliments on the tone whenever I play it with the band, where I even use it clean a lot. I haven't tried their new hybrid one yet, but I think I'll be ordering one shortly to replace the Tone Zone I put in my RR1.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/product...h16_59_custom/
    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

I'd go for something with covers when a Mike Learn paint job is going on!

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
        I'd go for something with covers when a Mike Learn paint job is going on!
        I thought about it and the likelihood of me swapping PUPs is always high so I took everything off before I sent it to him.
        Hellbat thank for the recommendation Will give it a try. I think I might replace the original 5 position switch with a 3 as well. Who makes the best pots and switches these days?

Comment

I know it's too late, but if your 86 Soloist originally had oversized rings and covered pickups, just about any regular spaced pickup will fit under the Jackson cover. So you could have had Mike paint the ring and cover, then just swap pickups underneath.

The only issue is if you wanted F spaced pickups you can't use them, but back in 1986 there were no F spaced pickups so....

Comment

Working...
          X