Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Charvel USA San Dimas - Floyd springs hitting bottom of route?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel USA San Dimas - Floyd springs hitting bottom of route?

Never had this happen before, but I am guessing because of the neck angle and action height, when I dive the Floyd (37mm block), the springs naturally move down as the block swings, and the springs catch the bottom of the trem cavity andf make a horrible noise.

The neck is adjusted properly (just a bit of relief), but the Floyd posts are pretty high - resulting in the trem and block being high - bringing the springs closer to the bottom of the cavity.

Does this make sense? What can I do?
    Last edited by AndyK; 07-09-2012, 12:23 PM.
    '09 Charvel San Dimas USA
    '85 Jackson Soloist w/Floyd
    '98 PRS Custom 22
    '10 Les Paul Traditional

Your best two options are:

1) try the next larger block size (42 mm)
    2) Reduce the amount of neck angle (i.e. remove shim in neck pocket)

37 to 42 is a big jump, and that might be too big. Maybe you can get one of those dudes making the big blocks to build a custom in-between size like 40"? You'd need to make careful measurements in that case. Personally I like tons of neck angle and would not want to reduce it.

I've seen some psychos dremel grooves in the trem cavity to provide clearance, and that's just a bit too redneck for me.

EDIT: So this is a Pro Mod? Aren't those supposed to have 42 mm blocks anyways? Was this Floyd swapped out? :think:
    Last edited by Axewielder; 07-09-2012, 12:37 PM.

Comment

It's a USA Pro Mod, and the original Floyd (Korean) came with a 37 block. I swapped it for my OFR with 37 block. There is no shim in the neck, and the angle is pretty perfect - not sure why there would be no clearance for the springs allowing for a straight neck?

Also, not sure how they get their block sizes, but I can't see how my block would be 37mm when it measures close to 50mm.
      '98 PRS Custom 22
      '10 Les Paul Traditional

Comment

I just checked the MIJ ProMod build I put together. I used a 42mm big block and it fits under the cover fine. This is a top mount Floyd with no recess. My action is very good with the stock neck angle.

On my SL2H, I stuffed in a 37mm (originally a 32mm). I had to dremel the block to make recesses for the springs because the springs were hitting the cover. It was very easy to do and just took a few seconds.

Comment

42mm needs to be used with a top mount Floyd.
          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
            42mm needs to be used with a top mount Floyd.
            Not always. A lot of guitars that are non-recessed can use 37mm. Most of the newer Charvels have 37. My '05 Star came with 37 and was fine, but it did not have very much room to pull back. I just dropped the trem to the body and shimmed up the saddles anyway since I only wanted to dive.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

^^^ this is true. My Strat-24 is non-recessed, and a 42 mm was too long and scraped the trem cover. A 37 mm fit perfectly. That one was an oddball and did have that hybrid pull-up route, though. The 42 mm blocks do fit the majority of these the best, though.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyK View Post
                Also, not sure how they get their block sizes, but I can't see how my block would be 37mm when it measures close to 50mm.
                This is the block height, from where the block bolts to the floyd baseplate, to the bottom where the springs are inserted,

Try a 42mm, as long as it doesnt hit the trem cover it will be fine

Comment

If the Floyd posts are riding high then your neck angle is not correct. Put a thin shim (maybe a slice of business card or so) in the pocket at the headstock end to raise your neck angle and it should make everything line up much better.
                  My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Comment

I just ordered an OFR 42mm block. I figure it would be too long, if my action was lower, but because the neck angle sweeps back a bit more than most, the Floyd has to be raised more, resulting in the springs coming closer to the back of the cavity. A longer block should solve my problem, without hitting the back plate (which I take off anyway)!

Thanks for the advice!
                    '98 PRS Custom 22
                    '10 Les Paul Traditional

Comment

Originally posted by DalyTek View Post
                      If the Floyd posts are riding high then your neck angle is not correct. Put a thin shim (maybe a slice of business card or so) in the pocket at the headstock end to raise your neck angle and it should make everything line up much better.
                      Here's the deal. If you want to be able to pull back, you need your Floyd posts high and a 42mm block. And you want a good neck angle for low action with the high Floyd.

If you want no pull back, you want a low neck angle, a 37mm block, and lower your trem posts.

So it's a lot of personal preference. I like having some pull back so I go with a higher Floyd and neck angle.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                        Here's the deal. If you want to be able to pull back, you need your Floyd posts high and a 42mm block. And you want a good neck angle for low action with the high Floyd.

If you want no pull back, you want a low neck angle, a 37mm block, and lower your trem posts.

So it's a lot of personal preference. I like having some pull back so I go with a higher Floyd and neck angle.
                        True! I posted a question on the forum about action height between the 12th and last frets, so see if my neck angle was wrong. Most responded that the action was a hair higher at the last fret. If I shimmed the neck to produce less of an angle, the action at the last fret would go up too much, making the guitar harder to play. Right now, I have super low action, and great feel, all the way up the neck. It just requires my Floyd posts to be higher - which is why i orderded the 42mm block.

I guess the way the cavity was cut at the factory dictates the neck angle, and how high the trem has to be to get good playing action. I'll try posting a photo, to show how high my Floyd is. Mabye it's not that different compared to everyone elses?
                        '98 PRS Custom 22
                        '10 Les Paul Traditional

Comment

As long as you are within range of the trem height posts and can get the trem low enough, the neck angle has no effect on the action of the guitar. It affects the playability in terms of the strings being higher off the body, but that is about it. There is no discernable difference of the setup over the fingerboard. There is a LOT of disinformation floating around about that.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                            As long as you are within range of the trem height posts and can get the trem low enough, the neck angle has no effect on the action of the guitar. It affects the playability in terms of the strings being higher off the body, but that is about it. There is no discernable difference of the setup over the fingerboard. There is a LOT of disinformation floating around about that.
                            The neck angle does effect the action. As you angle the neck back, the strings get closer to the last fret, and there is lower action. If the neck angle is pitched forward, the action is raised at the higher frets, and you can't really lower the action without the notes fretting out in the first few frets.
                            '98 PRS Custom 22
                            '10 Les Paul Traditional

Comment

If you:

1) Measure the string height
                              2) Adjust the neck angle
                              3) Readjust the trem height so the string height matches step 1

Then, the neck angle does not affect the action.

Comment

Working...
                              X