Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I assume that the recent batch of USA and MIJ So Cal's are interchangeable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I assume that the recent batch of USA and MIJ So Cal's are interchangeable?

I have a rosewood USA San Dimas neck that I want to mate to a MIJ So Cal Body.

Looking to make a pearloid white Strat 3 pup pickguard with three Hot Rails.

No issues?

Should fit fine. I was playing with necks before I put my MIJ ProMod together. Old 275 neck fits as well.

Comment

I put a MIJ ProMod neck on a USA SoCal body just fine.
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Just my two pence worth, but I've found the ebony dreamsicle necks to be a tad wider, only experience of any size difference.

Although that said, I just fitted a Maple Japanese Pro mod neck to a Japanese Pro mod body who originally had a maple neck, they are out by two years or so but otherwise should match and I'm left with almost a 1/16" gap which looks kind of ugly or Fenderish, depending on your point of view. Stratching my head a bit as I can't see the neck heel has been sanded at all.

I thought generally maple for maple USA vs Japanese were basically identical on the heel, guess some Japanese ones vary. I know the USA necks are tight in their USA bodies at any rate, so any more and you'll be reaching for the files.

But yeah none of this shouldn't affect you. USA neck to Japanese body will always fit as far as I know, it might get tight the other way around though, depending on your luck but nothing a few files couldn't sort. Nothing drastic.

Edit: I exaggerated again. Wasn't seating properly, too tight on one side hence gap, its about 1/32" now, much better.
        Last edited by ginsambo; 07-09-2012, 02:14 PM.
        You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

Comment

Are the pick guards interchangable?
          No honey, I have always had this Jackson....

Comment

Seriously doubt the holes line up. I reckon like everything else they will be off by about 3mm, just enough so you can't even get a screw in at an angle, just enough to be annoying if you want to retrofit.

The back cover plates screw holes are different and also the USAs have a smaller football jack plate, also the four screws on the USA necks have a thicker thread and USA screws won't seat properly in a Japanese neckplate. Although all this could vary with production and may not be factory related but it probably is.

What brand locking nut and string retainer do they use, seriously want to get shot of my black one and get a Chrome one. Gotoh? Assume not as Gotoh football Jack plates are different sized by a few mm's I assume they weren't using Gotoh parts in the Japanese factory.

Are the locking nuts 43mm? Mine measure just shy of 43mm, around 42.76mm, basically 1 11/16".
            Last edited by ginsambo; 07-10-2012, 12:57 PM.
            You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

Comment

Working...
            X