painting over binding & adding wood to HS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• painting over binding & adding wood to HS

Can it be done? Should it be done? Any issues or pitfalls aside from a seam being evident?
    Also, anyone ever add wood onto a headstock to mod the shape of it? Ex- if you had a pointy, could you add on a bit of rounded wood to the end to make it more like an explorer hs?

Or to make an ESP headstock like a Jackson?

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
      Or to make an ESP headstock like a Jackson?
      Perhaps, but the example I used is more along the lines of what I'd like to do.
      Last edited by vector; 07-07-2012, 02:30 PM.

Comment

sure, you could do it, but you will be introducing failure points to the headstock

seems more trouble than its worth

Comment

It's my understanding that glue joints are stronger than the wood itself, hence the logic behind scarf joints.
          "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

Comment

Originally posted by ralph View Post
            sure, you could do it, but you will be introducing failure points to the headstock

seems more trouble than its worth

What stresses are put on that part of the head stock? The holes for the tuners are behind that addition and so far as I know, short of banging the tip on an immovable object, there would be nothing to affect that joint.

Comment

Could use dowels or biscuts to help as well.

Comment

I love those banana headstocks, don't do it!

EDIT: Or, you are turning a pointy into a banana? I'm confused. :think:

Comment

Sounds like he's making a banana out of a pointy, maybe an esp one.

I'd use a couple wood dowels to reinforce it.
                  "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Can't ya just put a used tube sock over it and call it a day?

Comment

Originally posted by MetalMedal II View Post
                      Sounds like he's making a banana out of a pointy, maybe an esp one.

I'd use a couple wood dowels to reinforce it.

Yup. Pointy into a banana.

Comment

So if I have this right. You want to modify your pointy headstock, that has binding, add some wood to the tip and make it look like a banana type. Then paint over the binding because the new piece won't have it. Does that sum it up? If so, I think you could easily do that, but even better pull the binding off the headstock and have it redone to wrap around the new piece to look factory. If you dowel it and glue it correct, I don't see any issues at all at the tip. Could be cool, but I would definitely redo the binding the right way and not paint it.
                        "I have so much gayness at times. My wife walks in my music room, and there I am, in my undies, listening to "Sister Christian" while lighting fireworks..doin' blow." - Bill Z

"I leave off the back plate and pinch my forskin between the tension springs. That may not work for everyone. But I find that the people love it. Half the tone is in the pud." - Bill Z

Comment

Why not buy an aftermarket neck already done the way you want?

Comment

Isn't there some sort of Federal law punishable by 150 years in prison or even the death penalty for trying to make a Jackson into an ESP?
                            1996 Jackson PS-4 Performer - Trans Green flame
                            1997 Jackson DX1 Professional - Black
                            2001 Jackson DX10DFS - Trans Red - Soon to be Bubinga Burl!
                            2006 Jackson DK2M - Inferno Red
                            2007 Jackson DXMG - Black
                            2011 Charvel Desolation DC-2 - Trans Black
                            1978 Fender 12 String Acoustic
                            2004 Alverez Acoustic/Electric
                            2011 Fender 4 string Jazz Bass
                            1995 Ibanez 4 string ??? Bass

Comment

Originally posted by charvelguy View Post
                              Why not buy an aftermarket neck already done the way you want?
                              Cuz it's neck thru.

Comment

Working...
                              X