Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Musikraft Dinky Body - Pickup Suggestions

Hi!

I`ve just ordered myself a Musikraft Dinky Body 1 hum config in 2 piece ash.. Does anybody have any suggestions for a decent bridge humbucker that would suit that tonewood.
    I ordered it through their web specials and got a sweet deal. I`m normally a basswood fan but I couldnt pass on this body as it looked so cool. I found out that the original EVH boogie body was ash also. So I hope it has some of that magic!

Has anyone bought an Ash body from Warmoth or Musikraft? (It seems to be Northen ash as opposed to Swamp ash btw)

Cheers.
    Pete.
    www.vendetta-theband.com
    www.atomhawk.com

I own over 50 axes yet not a single one in ash. I have no idea. You mention EVH so if you are going that route, maybe a Custom Custom? I find the J50BC give me a great EVH tone in Alder.

Comment

Thanks for the input Don, I actually do own a spare pickup from my EVH Art series Charvel.. ( I switched it out to a Bare Knuckle VHII because the Art Series Duncan died on me. One of the coils split (crazy!) So it needs to be sent off for a rewind.

Could be a good contender when fixed

I`m suprised nobody else has chimed in about the ash replacement body.. Theres got to be someone on this site that had ordered one in the past? I did some more research myself and the Jeff Loomis sig models are also ash! Suprising choice.
      Swamp ash has a very open grain which makes it very musical apparantly.. but I have no clue about Northen hard ash.. other than it looks pretty!.
      www.vendetta-theband.com
      www.atomhawk.com

Comment

i have 2 swamp ash bodies from musikraft, its nice & light sounds good too. i wouldnt suggest a high output gainy pickup as the low end can muddy up. I had an old custom shop screaming demon in it and i thought it sounded great, tho most people hate that pickup. maybe a custom, custom custom or an EMG 85. BTW Ash can sound very different depending on weight.

Comment

I have built numerous guitars from ash. They are a pain to finish since it takes alot to fill the grain. But I find it to be one of the most "woodiest" tones. I love the ash. I have had great luck with the Seymour JB and especially the Custom-Custom.

Comment

Thanks again for the input

Was wondering about grain filler.. Would you need to use it even if you were staining and tru oiling the body? Totally new to this sort of thing.

Just ordered the neck to go with it, The guy (Jim) answered my email enquiries in about ten mins flat, went through my specs and ordered a roasted 22 fret charvel headstock in birdseye quartersawn maple 22 jumbo frets.
            He`s even gonna craft the neck based on the exact heel of the body I just bought too. Top Bloke.

Check these traditional ones from the web specials page!!!

http://www.musikraft.com/product-info.php?pid472.html

www.vendetta-theband.com
            www.atomhawk.com

Comment

Neck looks awesome.

Comment

Check out the Seymour Duncan Custom/59 Hybrid.
                Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Jackson J-50 alinco or Duncan JB sounds great in a heavy ash body.
                  DiMarzio Super D if you get an older one is a good choice.
                  You never know until you try it really.
                  Love that neck in the pic.
                  Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

the stock J50/J80 set in my Fusion Plus sound pretty good. Have toyed for years with swapping out the pickups but just haven't really bothered with it. sully told me years ago that a Custom works really well in ash, but I think he'd recommend installing a Custom in an Ikea armchair if pushed for a pickup recommendation.
                    Hail yesterday

Comment

You can whip out the slide rule and do all the Higgs Boson calculations you want, but at the end of the day it is impossible to predict how good a particular model of pickup will sound in a guitar.

Comment

That neck looks stunning!
                        It's all about the blues-rock chatter.

Originally posted by RD
                        ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

Right.. the plan is, Jam a JB in there first hook up the parts and neck without finishing the body.. if its not right, I`ll try the custom custom. Once I`m happy I`ll strip it down for a body finish.

Not sure if I want to go for a stain oil finish or a Mike Learn masterpiece. I need something to compliment the dark beautiful roasted neck look. well see

Has Anyone got any pics of Custom made Dinky Strats? I`d love some inspiration.
                          www.vendetta-theband.com
                          www.atomhawk.com

Comment

The EVH Frankenstein PU is a great choice, particularly with Ash. Ed's Frank (the original Boogie Body) is actually Northern Heavy Ash, so this PU is a natural choice if going for that tone.

Comment

I love ash. It's crisp its tight and responsive. Good bottom end but can get muddy with the wrong pickup. I like the custom custom in ash or a PAF plus maybe. Full shred depending on the piece of wood. Sometimes its sometimes not so much. Screaming demon would be good or a pearly gates. Have 2 ash bodies one is a star with maple maple neck I have a hybrid pickup in it that sounds great. Part dimarzio par pro and part washburn from an old washburn v I had. And the other is a gfs strat body with mighty mite neck and a gfs veh in It sounds pretty killer.

Comment

Working...
                              X