Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

body blank source?? (for a death angel copy)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• body blank source?? (for a death angel copy)

I have a friend who went to school for luthiery(sp.) and he wants to do something different so I told him id like a flat top death angel and he said he would do it for free, but I cant find a body blank big enough. Anyone know what I should do? Home depot? Any ideas are appreciated. Its gonna be a simple string thru single hum

Oh and if anyone could hook me up with a body trace that'd be cooooool

I'd check Woodcraft (http://www.woodcraft.com/Stores/Default.aspx). I haven't bought full blanks, but I've used them for other projects. They tend to have a decent selection.

Comment

Dang doesnt look like they have anything big enough

Comment

You will most likely not find a blank that size.
        Most large body guitars use several smaller pieces glued together in key areas to make the whole body.

Here's an example I found that illustrates this perfectly.

ex6tw2.jpg
        -Rick

Comment

:think:I was just thinking that I might have to piece it together. Hmmmm now what type of wood should I go with:think:

Comment

http://northridgehardwoods.com/BodyBlanks.htm That’s where I get my tops from, Luke is a good guy.
            They will do different sizes from the blanks that they commonly offer, and they’ll also send blanks not glued up. Tell him you need something explorer sized, and I’m sure he can help ya.
            Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
            Sully Guitars on Facebook
            Sully Guitars on Google+
            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Cool thanks man.

Comment

I am not into the DA shape, but keep us apprised!
                "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Been trying to come up with an original design myself. But every drawing I make looks like a death angel too. : P Yes, please show off your progress once you guys get stuck in to it.

Comment

Well it wont be an exact DA. I want a longer bottom horn with more curl. Wood is expensive lol. May be a few Weeks before I get started. Also I think im gonna do a veneer top and maybe bind the body. I will def post pics when it gets going.

Comment

Working...
                    X