Floyd Upgrades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd Upgrades

I'm sure this has been kicked around on here a few times but anyone use these upgrades? I've heard lots of back and forth about the brass big blocks being worth it. But what about the other components?
    The saddle upgrades? Inserts? Posts?

IMO, the only thing that's gonna directly impact tone are the saddles & saddle inserts being that they are the only items touching the strings. Block will effect sustain and all others (springs, posts, baseplate, etc.) effect the trem's function.

My gut sez getting the whole enchilada is a waste of cash.

Thoughts? Hands on experience?

I've done a big brass block and tungsten block, both of which seemed to produce a change. I'm not sure I'd go the full nine yards with titanium appointments and such, money is a thing with me, but if it was given to me to test I'd certainly try it.

Comment

I've got the block in one of my guitars and I noticed a difference. I think it's worth it.

http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/105...ock?highlight=

Comment

I've never tried a big block, but I highly recommend the titanium string lock blocks, and the heavy duty noiseless springs. Also for any trem-equipped guitar, I think a tremol-no is a must.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard W View Post
          I've never tried a big block, but I highly recommend the titanium string lock blocks, and the heavy duty noiseless springs. Also for any trem-equipped guitar, I think a tremol-no is a must.
          Hmm. Since I am a wiggle stick junkie and prefer all the wacky things one can produce with a fully floating Floyd, I'd definitely forgo the Tremol-no. I wonder how the hd noiseless springs would accommodate my abusive manipulations? Would they allow the bar to warble or flutter when snapped up or down?

On that same issue, anyone know how a big block might effect the subtle and not so subtle effects of a Floyd. Again think warble.
          Last edited by vector; 06-07-2012, 08:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by vector View Post
            Hmm. Since I am a wiggle stick junkie and prefer all the wacky things one can produce with a fully floating Floyd, I'd definitely forgo the Tremol-no. I wonder how the hd noiseless springs would accommodate my abusive manipulations? Would they allow the bar to warble or flutter when snapped up or down?

On that same issue, anyone know how a big block might effect the subtle and not so subtle effects of a Floyd. Again think warble.
            The heavy duty noiseless springs still allow the bar to flutter for me quite well. Also, I contacted FloydUpgrades a while back about the big block; and they said: "You lose a mm or two on pull up - nothing on dive."

Comment

I love the big L brass blocks on all my Floyd guitars. Big bang for little cost.
              Custom Guitars, Refinish and restorations.
              http://www.learnguitars.com

Comment

The 37mm big block transformed my MIJ Pro Mod, the treble strings sound distinctly fatter and the bass strings just resonate better, the sustain is noticeably longer and it got rid of an annoying "structural" dead spot on the G note in several position.

I have also swapped the saddle retainer and intonation screws with stainless steel ones, so that they won't rust over time, and the string lock blocks with titanium ones, as I've cracked several of them in the past. No noticeable effect on tone from either of these though.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard W View Post
                  The heavy duty noiseless springs still allow the bar to flutter for me quite well. Also, I contacted FloydUpgrades a while back about the big block; and they said: "You lose a mm or two on pull up - nothing on dive."
                  What do you have your guitar tuned to? How many springs do you have in there?

I keep most of my gigging axes at Db and with two springs in back. I prefer responsive, slinky feel of that set up.

Comment

Originally posted by Learn Guitars View Post
                    I love the big L brass blocks on all my Floyd guitars. Big bang for little cost.
                    Mike, do you have yours set to float? What gauge strings? How many springs? Tuning?

Comment

Originally posted by vector View Post
                      What do you have your guitar tuned to? How many springs do you have in there?

I keep most of my gigging axes at Db and with two springs in back. I prefer responsive, slinky feel of that set up.
                      I have a few guitars with floyds, and they all have the heavy duty noiseless springs. My tunings range from Standard E, Drop D, D Standard, and Drop C. My guitars also have three springs in back.

Comment

All I can say is for SURE brass blocks make a difference. If CASH was no object I would have the titanium saddles for sure....
                        -Now....shut up n play yer guitar

Comment

Huge difference with the Brass Big Block!!!!

Every single OFR guitar that I own has one installed. Killer bang for your buck IMHO!!!!

Comment

I love the brass block with the trem stop.. I'm also getting interested in the stainless parts as well but they are pricey
                            Last edited by rhoadsfan11; 06-13-2012, 09:12 PM.

Comment

I like a fully floating bridge myself, but I think a tremel-no might be a lifesaver at a show. If one of your guitars string breaks, it seems that you can just lock the tremel-no and the rest of the strings would stay in tune, wouldn't it?
                              Jackson ke3 kelly trans blue
                              Jackson Dk2m bengal with emg 81/85

Comment

Working...
                              X