Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paging Doc, Trillian, KickAxe, and other luthiers...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paging Doc, Trillian, KickAxe, and other luthiers...

Greetings,

I want to get my DXMG neck done with new inlays (see link at bottom), and was wondering how much it'd cost, and if you guys could do it. Lee from GMW quoted a 9 month wait, and a rather high cost for a neck. However, he said it would be a new neck, with the inlays. I'd rather not wait 9 months, since i'll graduating college by then.

Specifically, Im looking for a neck to fit my DXMG, with either the stock DXMG neck contour, or a soloist contour, rosewood/ebony fretboard (depends on cost difference), and the inlays (preferably abalone, but can use MOP) as shown on the link.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/illumina/inlay.jpg

~eric
    [email protected]

(if posting this is illegal in any way, let me know)

Re: Paging Doc, Trillian, KickAxe, and other luthiers...

YOU SHOULD PROBABLY CALL ME OR SOMETHING....THAT NECK WILL BE EXPENSIVE DUE TO THE AMOUNT OF WORK RELATED TO IT

Comment

Inlay work is expensive, and considering the inlay location on your current neck, the whole fretboard would have to go...and at that point, it's time for a new neck. The guy I take my Jacksons to has done pearl and abalone inlays for me, just dots or blocks, and it's not cheap. To replace a white plastic dot with a pearl dot is $20 per inlay, and blocks are $45. Since you're looking for something more detailed, the cost will be much higher.

Having spent $250-300 on custom inlays (each) for two of my Jackson imports, understand that I know where you're coming from, but that's a pretty big investment on a relatively inexpensive guitar.
      sigpic

Comment

...so perhaps the better option would to just go all out and buy a custom guitar?

Pretty much, I just want a Dinky/Soloist (either or) with OFR, EMG81/60 or SD JB/Jazz, that neck, and maybe a cool paint scheme for the body.

~eric

Comment

Inazone, what inlays did you have done that costs so much [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] ? Is it possible to post a pic? Got me interested, lol

Comment

To do that job "properly", you would need to remove the frets, rout for the inlays, glue the inlays in, sand the entire fingerboard to radius the inlays to the fingerboards radius and refret the neck.

Unless you can find pre-radiused inlays....

If you have binding on the neck.....that's another issue to deal with!

I would buy a replacement neck....

-eric

Comment

Sorry, I haven't got my gallery page back up since I changed ISPs, but what I did was fairly simple. In both cases, I had the white plastic dot inlays replaced; one guitar with gold MOP (sort of "aged" looking) and another with abalone. I also had the 12th and 24th fret dots replaced with a block inlay. I'll be doing this on another guitar in the spring, probably just white MOP.
              sigpic

Comment

also, when you decide to get some work like this done, be sure to ask a lot of questions.....there are more than a few that call themselves luthiers that dont even turn a screw on a guitar...buyer should always beware

Comment

Boy, isn't that a fact......

Comment

Working...
                  X