Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The smell of WD-40 drives me insane, is there any other way to de-rust a bridge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The smell of WD-40 drives me insane, is there any other way to de-rust a bridge?

or does the wd-40 smell go away after time?

Throw it in coca cola
    "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Lol there's always PB blaster.......that smells WAY worse. It'll dissipate over time. Coca cola doesn't really work.....been there.....did more harm than good.
      It's pronounced soops

Comment

Do a google search for removing rust by making a paste with baking soda and water. There should be some info there to help you out.

Comment

Wear a mask and seal the bowl/jar/container.
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I thought it smells good?

Comment

Smells like aftershave for the Tin-Man.

Comment

Use steel wool, you will have to pull the whole trem apart though

Comment

The smell should go away pretty quick once you have wiped the trem down.
                  The only time you should leave WD-40 on there is if you're storing it for a long period of time.
                  Q-Tips work great for those hard to clean spots in the saddles.
                  -Rick

Comment

Yeah Phosphoric acid (Cola) is good, brick cleaner (Hydrocholoric acid) or a metal prep rust eater etcher type thing, rubber gloves and a suede wire brush. WD's are wax/oil based and attract dirt and as said are meant only to protect for storage.

Use a proper oil on it.
                    You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

Comment

The makers of WD40 do some fucking great products now, confusingly all called WD40. The spray-on degreaser is fantastic, doesn't smell like the original WD and doesn't burn your nostrils out for a week after you use it. (OK, so I'm talking about motorbike engine here, but you get the drift.)

The best way to clean up any really cruddy and rusty stuff is to use one of those ultrasonic jewellery cleaners, it'll come up like new, with pretty much zero effort by you, even cleaning places you won't get to with your Mrs' toothbrush.
                      So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Brake Free is a good product it cleans off the rust with some scrubbing and protects the metal from further rust by coating it.
                        The smell goes away quickly.
                        You can find it in the sporting goods/ gun dept at a Wal Mart.
                        Made for semi auto and machine guns. Fantastic on guitar bridges and gets all the rust off.
                        Last edited by straycat; 06-05-2012, 11:32 AM.
                        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Ha! I use break free on my AR15, never thought about using it on my guitars ; ) it leaves a slight Teflon coating on the metal...
                          Gear https://images.imgbox.com/e4/00/IxQywXkV_o.jpg

Comment

I use WD40 as deoderant, what's the problem?
                            It's all about the blues-rock chatter.

Originally posted by RD
                            ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

Originally posted by Rsmacker View Post
                              The makers of WD40 do some fucking great products now, confusingly all called WD40. The spray-on degreaser is fantastic, doesn't smell like the original WD and doesn't burn your nostrils out for a week after you use it. (OK, so I'm talking about motorbike engine here, but you get the drift.)

The best way to clean up any really cruddy and rusty stuff is to use one of those ultrasonic jewellery cleaners, it'll come up like new, with pretty much zero effort by you, even cleaning places you won't get to with your Mrs' toothbrush.
                              I second the Ultrasonic cleaner. Actually Harbor Freight carries a pretty good one that has a heater and always gets good reviews for around $80. It's easy to find a 20% off coupon so it comes out to around $64 for something that you can use not just for guitar equipment, but clean your carbs in too!
                              1996 Jackson PS-4 Performer - Trans Green flame
                              1997 Jackson DX1 Professional - Black
                              2001 Jackson DX10DFS - Trans Red - Soon to be Bubinga Burl!
                              2006 Jackson DK2M - Inferno Red
                              2007 Jackson DXMG - Black
                              2011 Charvel Desolation DC-2 - Trans Black
                              1978 Fender 12 String Acoustic
                              2004 Alverez Acoustic/Electric
                              2011 Fender 4 string Jazz Bass
                              1995 Ibanez 4 string ??? Bass

Comment

Working...
                              X