Setups!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setups!!!

Alright dudes. I wana know how often you guys are getting setups.... I'm starting to pull the hair out of my head.... I Have four guitars. Two charvels, an RR1 an an ESP eclipse. Not really much compared to most guys on here. BUT, I'm finding that I'm making a lot of trips down to my tech over the past few years. I see people saying they are only getting setups once a year... But my biggest problem is the necks moving a bit after a month or so after a setup.. Enough to create fret buzz here and there and it's driving me crazy!!!!!! I've had all my guitars set up in the past two months and the necks on one of my charvels, the rr1 and the ESP have moved a bit.... Am I missing something here? Help me out guys ! BTW, I'm one of those players who is super sensitive to the way my guitars feel... I can notice the slightest difference in almost any adjustment...

[QUOTE=rhoadsfan11;1512070].... Am I missing something here? Help me out guys ! QUOTE]

What you are missing is not doing the setup yourself.
    It may take some time and effort the first time, but it's really easy once you get the hang of it.
    In the long run you will save alot of time and money and most important of all, you get your
    guitars the way you want them all the time.

Comment

+1

Doing it yourself is the way to go.

Comment

It's not hard to learn. Youtube has tons of stuff available with most being three or four parts. Take the time to do it right with the right tools and you will get the hang of it.

Comment

Never. If I did I'd need to hire a tech. I do my own.

BTW, I am NOT one of those super sensitive players. I play any action, any intonation (lol!), any neck shape profile or width.

Check out books from Dan Erlewine (How to Make your guitar play great is the one you want) and invest in the set-up starter pack at Stewmac.com -or- find similar tools at somewhere cheap like Harbor Freight Tools.

Comment

Thanks guys. I think im going to pickup that kit from stew Mac. I tried to learn years ago when I was younger, but that was back when I ha no patience.. LOL

Comment

here in the north east, when it changes season you'll probably need a minor setup. oil/satin finish necks seem to need more adjusting then my neckthrus, tho some ive had for years & they dont move at all.

Comment

Originally posted by j2379 View Post
                here in the north east, when it changes season you'll probably need a minor setup. oil/satin finish necks seem to need more adjusting then my neckthrus, tho some ive had for years & they dont move at all.
                THIS!
                Also, if your temp is changing allot in your studio that can cause the necks to change. If you can keep the room at a constant temp it helps.

Comment

YES with the weather changing into summer here, I've kept my guitars in my studio with the ac on keeping it about 65 degrees. I figure that there should be no reason for me to be doing complete setups.. just minor tweaks here and there, so that should help a lot.

Comment

Tried adjusting the truss rod on my rr1.. Watched. All the videos online ect ect. Def didn't work out as planned? I have more buzz now then I did before

Comment

If you have more buzz than you did before, then you adjusted it the wrong way. Or perhaps your frets are not level?
                      Anway, hold down the low E string on the first fret and last fret and check for a slight gap between frets 5- 9 (about the size of a 9 or 10 gauge high E string should fit between the gap, give or take the size of a business card, or maybe even thicker if you like your action a little higher). If there's too little of a gap and you're getting buzzing, then loosen the truss rod by turning it left (counterclockwise) by looking down from the top of the headstock into the nut. If there's too much of a gap between the string and fretboard, then you'd tighten the rod by turning right (clockwise) to bring the strings closer to the board.
                      Also, remember, a little buzz is okay, especially if you like really low action, as long as you're not hearing it through the amp.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Once I ha a curage to mess with the truss rod I never went back to the tech. Truss rod is the "backbone" of the setups. Once you undestand that you need to keep your neck as straight as possible (press E string on 1st and 12th fret it should almost touch all frets, minimal gap from 3rd to 9th). If your neck arching (string is laying flat on all frets), you need to loosen your truss rod. If you can put your pick between E string and 5th fret while holding 1st and 12th, your neck is bowing you need to tighten your truss rod. I keep my action very low (medium pick between 12th fret and E open) an I have to tighten my trus rod every months just a tad.
                        Second important part is Floyd but it is cake, just learn how to work back screws.
                        Again....DON'T BE AFRAID OF TRUSS ROD!!!1 YOUTUBE HOW TO DO IT****
                        Jackson Black SL2HT, Jackson Trans Blue SL2H, Jackson Adrian Smith white with ebony board, ESP KH-2 Caution Hot, Gibson Les Paul Custom aged white, Fender American Strat.

Comment

Thanks guys. The strings were sitting on the frets when I did the test. So I had to loosen it, which didn't seem to do much but it did feel like there was more buzzing, maybe it's just me or maybe I didn't loosen it enough

Comment

oh knockout said that
                            Last edited by jdr94; 05-30-2012, 08:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rhoadsfan11 View Post
                              Thanks guys. The strings were sitting on the frets when I did the test. So I had to loosen it, which didn't seem to do much but it did feel like there was more buzzing, maybe it's just me or maybe I didn't loosen it enough
                              Loosen it until you see the obvious bowing and then start tighting it up little by little (think of a clock and do 15 minutes turn at the time going clockwise). Make sure you bridge is up more than it it right now. Look at your neck with your eye, it should look straigh. You can see it bowing or arching even a little. Once you sure your neck is straight start moving your bridge up or down. Buzzing-move it up, action too high move it down. When you get it to the action you want do all open strings test (remember that healthy buzzing of an open string is inevitable at low actions, dependding on how hard you strum), then run pentatonics on 5th,12th, 15th.
                              Make sure your Floyd is parrallel to the body. If it throws its ass up in the air tighten screws on the back that hold the "Claw" with springs. If Floyd sits down in the cavity loosen the screws.
                              Also depends on the guitar...some are harder to set up than others. USA Fusions are setting themselves..I think my daughter can make a proffesional set up on them..and she is 13 months old.
                              Jackson Black SL2HT, Jackson Trans Blue SL2H, Jackson Adrian Smith white with ebony board, ESP KH-2 Caution Hot, Gibson Les Paul Custom aged white, Fender American Strat.

Comment

Working...
                              X