Question - Rosewood fretboard lifting off neck :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question - Rosewood fretboard lifting off neck :(

It’s hard to see in the picturebut if you look close you can see (where the nut is) the fretboard is JUST starting to separate from the neck. Obviously it needs to be fixed, but should I worry about this right now? Wait until its worse, will it matter? Will the entire fretboard need to be removed in order for this to be repaired properly? I’ve never repaired anything like this. I’m not sure it’s something I would attempt myself. Any advice would be cool.

Thanks for the comments....

Ibanez neckcrop.jpg
    -Now....shut up n play yer guitar

A clearer pic of the area would be a bit more helpful, but that looks to be something easily fixed with glue and clamps. I'd do it sooner than later, but that's me.
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Agreed, my camera blows thats about the best I could get. Its BARELY lifting, but it is. It seems like it would be a bit tough to get glue in there, or clean it before glueing it.

Hearing that from you is enough to get it done now....

thanks alot.

Comment

No prob. I'd try dry clamping it before you start getting glue in there, just to have some practice. Also be sure to put something between the fretboard surface and the clamp so that you don't mar the fretboard.

Sully
        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
        Sully Guitars on Facebook
        Sully Guitars on Google+
        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

What kind of glue would you recommend using? This seems like it should be simple. Get glue in and clamp it? Leave it for several days......

Comment

Just some ordinary wood glue. Squeeze it in there, clamp it (protect the surface from the clamps as Sully said), wipe off excess, and let the glue dry. Be good as new.
            My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Comment

Thanks alot guys I'm going to try this myself this week....I need to borrow some clamps but already made the call.

thanks !!!!!!

Comment

What type of guitar did this happen to?

One word of caution - if the fretboard came up because of an excess of oil being put on the fretboard, glue might not be able to hold it down.

Comment

Its from an Ibanez - 89 - RG570.

No, its not from excess oil I'm sure. I don't oil it enough. I didn't know that though, so thanks for the comment.
                  I've had this since 89. Love this guitar as beat as it is. Nothing could replace it.

Comment

Kinda goes without saying but be carefull to not crush the wood on the back of the neck too. I have not had a bad experience with maple but I did put a nasty clamp dent into the back of a mahogany neck by clamping too tightly without proper rubber padding (clean of dried glue etc) on that clampface.

Comment

Originally posted by MIB View Post
                      Kinda goes without saying but be carefull to not crush the wood on the back of the neck too. I have not had a bad experience with maple but I did put a nasty clamp dent into the back of a mahogany neck by clamping too tightly without proper rubber padding (clean of dried glue etc) on that clampface.
                      Yeah I would bum if that happened. I have never done this and I give a shit about this git...so any and all comments Im taking seriously....thanks man...

Comment

Is it lifting on both sides?
                        Looks like its been lifting for a while I see all those shims under the nut.
                        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

No just on the high E side...it may have been lifting for a while I can't be sure....its very slight......your right though, over the last year I have had to shim the nut only on that side....so who knows how long its been like that....

Comment

I have seen this a couple of times when the guitar had fallen on the front. The customers were there when the guitar fell forward out of the guitar stand. I told him he got off luck and it is a very simple repair as everyone has mentioned. If has been opened a while, check to see that there is not too much DNA jammed down in there from sweaty hands and sticky beer slime.
                            Custom Guitars, Refinish and restorations.
                            http://www.learnguitars.com

Comment

Thinking back, it DID take a fall forward off a guitar stand...Like last year.. I wonder if thats what did it. Thats about when I started noticing it playing like crap and I had to add shims to the nut....its all coming together...:think: lol

Comment

Working...
                              X