Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Corrosion on frets - is it something bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corrosion on frets - is it something bad?

If so, how can I treat it?

See attached photo (Dinky DXMG).

a mild scotchbrite pad will take that right off. happens to a bunch of my guitars that i dont play often enough.

Comment

If you clean your frets that should take care of it. There are a number of procedures you can use. I used to tape the FB off with painters tape and hit the frets with 0000 grade steel wool. You should lay a towel down so that the steel wool fibers don't go everywhere and also lay a cloth over your pickups so the fibers don't get attracted to them. That's method a, method B which I'm currently using is using Gorgomyte, it's a lot simpler and easier as you don't have to tape off the FB and there's no little steel wool fibers to clean up. You can get it from StewMac or other online retailers.
      Last edited by Sharkfin; 06-11-2012, 07:29 PM.

Comment

Personally, I don’t like to tape off the fretboard if I have too, mainly cos 1) it takes a while and more importantly, 2) I don’t like how it pulls off bits of the rosewood fingerboard when I take it off, regardless of how low tack the tape may be.

I like to polish the frets with Brasso or something similar. I apply it with a q-tip along the length of the fret, then rub it out with an old T-shirt. To keep residue from going into the pores of the rosewood, I’ll first hit the board with some lemon oil both before and just after I polish the frets. The frets come out like mirrors and it makes such a difference, moreso than putting on new strings ever would.

BTW, I got the above procedure as one of those tech tips in the 90s from that Fender catalogue/newsletter they used to send out.
        "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

+1 to gorgamyte. It has something like rubbing compond in it.

Comment

+2 for Gorgomyte.
            Last edited by Ward; 05-27-2012, 10:14 AM.

Comment

Thanks guys, your tips really helped me out.

Comment

I've used neverdull and it's quick and painless. Then all you have to do is put a little oil on the fretboard afterwards.
                It's pronounced soops

Comment

Originally posted by advennt View Post
                  Thanks guys, your tips really helped me out.
                  Sweet & welcome to the forum.

Comment

Originally posted by MetalMedal II View Post
                    Personally, I don’t like to tape off the fretboard if I have too, mainly cos 1) it takes a while and more importantly, 2) I don’t like how it pulls off bits of the rosewood fingerboard when I take it off, regardless of how low tack the tape may be.

I like to polish the frets with Brasso or something similar. I apply it with a q-tip along the length of the fret, then rub it out with an old T-shirt. To keep residue from going into the pores of the rosewood, I’ll first hit the board with some lemon oil both before and just after I polish the frets. The frets come out like mirrors and it makes such a difference, moreso than putting on new strings ever would.

BTW, I got the above procedure as one of those tech tips in the 90s from that Fender catalogue/newsletter they used to send out.
                    I've never seen painters tape pull off bit of Rosewood. That sounds like another issue all together.
                    My Toys:
                    '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Flame Top
                    '94 Dinky Rev. Cherry Burst Flame Top
                    '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Quilt Top
                    '94 Dinky HX in Black
                    '12 ESP Mii NTB in Black

Comment

+1 to 0000 steel wool and -1 to the tape. The steel wool cleans rosewood boards up nicely along with the frets, so why would you tape it up?

Comment

First thing to do is get all the gunk off the edges of the frets right at the fingerboard.I use the edge of an old credit card then OOOO steel wool. Never dull is quick and easy too. Steel wool I just take the neck off and go outside and give a good scrubbing no mess to clean up.
                        Steel wool tip #1 go with the grain.Tip 2 if you get wool dust on the headstock blow as much off as you can.Wipng it off will scratch the clear coat.
                        Last edited by straycat; 06-12-2012, 12:41 AM.
                        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                          +1 to 0000 steel wool and -1 to the tape. The steel wool cleans rosewood boards up nicely along with the frets, so why would you tape it up?
                          Some people go all He-Man with the steel wool and end up butchering their boards.

Comment

Working...
                          X