Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Headstock Refinish: Clear over Vinyl instead of Paint?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headstock Refinish: Clear over Vinyl instead of Paint?

This may be a completely idiotic idea, and call me on it if it is since I'm new to all this, but I'm trying to learn.

For refinishing a headstock, would it be plausible to use vinyl in lieu of a base coat and simply clearcoat over that? I'm sure there's a catch I'm not thinking of, but I'm just curious. If it would work, using high grade adhesive vinyl, it would certainly cut project time and give a smooth consistent base to shoot clear over.

Let me know what I'm missing here, or if it's just frowned on because it isn't the vintage way. Thanks!

I'd say at least try it out on some scrap wood first. Maybe it would be fine?

Comment

Do you mean as an overlay to cover the whole front? Then another vinyl logo, then clear? Or printed vinyl like the wraps some have done, then clear?
      Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

As long as you have chemical compatibility (try on scrap), there’s nothing wrong with that. Really, when ya think about it, it’s not all that different from what Gibson does with their headstocks.
        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
        Sully Guitars on Facebook
        Sully Guitars on Google+
        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by sully View Post
          As long as you have chemical compatibility (try on scrap), there’s nothing wrong with that. Really, when ya think about it, it’s not all that different from what Gibson does with their headstocks.
          What is that? I'm admittedly not the biggest Gibson person, so I don't know their process.

Comment

The black face of the headstock is a veneer that is cleared over.

Sully Guitars on Google+
            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Oh, well I'll be damned. Learn something new every day!

I might actually explore doing a veneer instead. I've considered them for bodies, but it didn't even occur to me to think about doing a headstock that way. Maybe a flame maple veneer dyed black, applied, cut and logoed then cleared as opposed to my original idea.

Or maybe vulcanized fibre...I keep reading and getting more ideas. Time to experiment. ;p
              Last edited by SausageofPower; 05-24-2012, 12:41 PM.

Comment

if you put clear over vinyl, be aware vinyl adhesives dont last forever, especially if you gig outdoors and the guitar is subject to temp changes. Vinyl also expands and contracts over time depending on the weather this may cause the clear coat to crack or bubble over time. if you do decide to cover the entire headstock, 3M high performance vinyl is IMHO the best product, tho it is thin and can be harder to work with than the cheaper brands. I did vinyl lettering and graphics for a few years, like most things you get what you pay for.

Comment

Originally posted by sully View Post
                  The black face of the headstock is a veneer that is cleared over.

Are they real Gibson headstock decals? They don't look it. (I know you know your shit, Sully, just sayin they don't look right )
                  http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

they're not decals, but yes, they're legit and/or good fakes.
                    Sully Guitars on Google+
                    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by MartinBarre View Post
                      Are they real Gibson headstock decals? They don't look it. (I know you know your shit, Sully, just sayin they don't look right )
                      yea those look like vintage reissue logos to me
                      Let me tell you about a porcupine's balls.... They're small, and they don't give a shit!

Comment

Are those plastic or wood overlays? I found out when I stripped my RGT42DXFX that Ibanez does plastic overlays.. Sanding it off really, really sucked!!

Comment

Originally posted by jacksonkellyfreak View Post
                          yea those look like vintage reissue logos to me
                          They're overlays for many different Gibson models, not just Les Pauls. They still do the same stuff now.

Originally posted by warlok View Post
                          Are those plastic or wood overlays? I found out when I stripped my RGT42DXFX that Ibanez does plastic overlays.. Sanding it off really, really sucked!!
                          Neither, it's a fiberboard of sorts. Cuts nicely, sands well. Essentially this stuff: http://www.lmii.com/CartTwo/thirdpro...+Veneer+Sheets

Sully
                          Sully Guitars on Google+
                          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Ah. That looks like the same stuff that was on the Ibanez too.

Comment

The thing about clearing over 2mil or 3mil vinyl is that the solvents can attack the vinyl. There will be two variables in the adhesion. First, how well the vinyl sticks to the sealed or unsealed wood. You will be better off with a sealed finish under the vinyl. Secondly, the adhesion of the vinyl to the clear. You will need to check that for compatibility as Sully has mentioned, but I can tell you that it will vary with materials used over the vinyl and the type of clear used. Try using a plastic adhesion promoter like SEM or Bulldog.
                              Another issue will be the torque of the tuner nuts, it may want to slide the material around, so be careful. For the hassle, I would suggest using paint for a less risky process.
                              Custom Guitars, Refinish and restorations.
                              http://www.learnguitars.com

Comment

Working...
                              X