Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone make a homemade tiger stripe paint job?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone make a homemade tiger stripe paint job?

I'm really interested if someone tried this, even if it's not that close to the original Bengal style.

Yes.

Back in the old days, before I had lots of money, I wanted a Lynch guitar, but I had a Pearl White Aria Pro II RS Classic - three singles and a V-Trem, rear routed cavity. It took at few tries before I got it the way I wanted it. I tried a Hot Rails Bridge, then I plugged the two singles, then I routed a single hum, then I installed a Kahler 2500, then a Kahler Killer, then the trem post gave way and I chunked out the body and installed a large block of maple to mount the trem into, then I sunk the neck into the neck pocket with an angle. Multiple paint jobs each step of the way.

Believe it or not, it sounds, looks and plays pretty killer after all that frankenstein work done to it.

One thing I learned it at least one time I did a "quick" paint job because I just wanted to play it quickly. Don't do that, because you'll just be stripping and re-doing it all over. Do it right as if for the final time, because stripping paint gets old.

Comment

I kind of wanted to see some pics, of the finished guitar not necessarily of the process, but I guess this forum isn't as picture oriented as other forums.

Comment

Originally posted by dragonclaw View Post
        I'm really interested if someone tried this, even if it's not that close to the original Bengal style.
        Yes.

Comment

I was just going to make a thread about this...... I want to do this so bad, but I suck at cutting patterns out of painters tape...

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
            One thing I learned it at least one time I did a "quick" paint job because I just wanted to play it quickly. Don't do that, because you'll just be stripping and re-doing it all over. Do it right as if for the final time, because stripping paint gets old.
            DonP is very correct. Patience and time.

You will never understand patience until you have a child AND paint a guitar!!!

Here is a tiger I painted for a customer.
            Tiger-Tele-13[1].jpg

Comment

Originally posted by vector View Post
              Yes.

That turned out pretty damn good!

I want to do a bengal finish on the LTD Alexi 200 project I have... In Mopar green.

Comment

Man that looks killer. What I love about these DIY paint jobs is that if you have the patience, You can have a KILLER Paint job and it's DIRT cheap.
                Originally posted by ulijdavid View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4087[/ATTACH]

Comment

Originally posted by Metal Spawn View Post
                  That turned out pretty damn good!
                  I want to do a bengal finish on the LTD Alexi 200 project I have... In Mopar green.
                  Thanks! Always wanted a Bengal design so I did one using rattlecans and some frisket film. Sold that off to a guy in Greece about 6-8 months ago. Liked the way the paint turned out and the upgrades I added but wasn't too fond of the neck. Could NOT get into that ax. Guess I shoulda determined that BEFORE I painted it-

To the OP- save yourself some headache and order some airbrush frisket film online or pick some up at a nearby art supply store. Depending on the situation, you may want the extra tack to keep the paint from running under the film...
                  http://www.grafixarts.com/product/Frisket_Film

Comment

Originally posted by dragonclaw View Post
                    I kind of wanted to see some pics, of the finished guitar not necessarily of the process, but I guess this forum isn't as picture oriented as other forums.
                    If you wanted a picture, you should have asked in your first post.

I intentionally went for that rough edge on the black. I did it by ripping the masking tape to get a sharp jagged edge.

Comment

Originally posted by ulijdavid View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4087[/ATTACH]
                      That is wicked sick!!! I plan on doing a tiger after i finish my offset bulls-eye finally. I totally agree with patience, a steady hand, good tape and a sharp exacto knife. I really like this forum so far.

Comment

I had all the bad luck trying to paint this guitar. But I think It did not turn out very bad. Next time better luck for me.

Cheers!

ücretsiz resim barındırma

Comment

Nice job, DonP. THe rough edges to the stripes makes it look more realistic, since the tiger's fur would have that appearance.

That may be the one reason I was never a fan of tiger stripe - the edges are too clean.
                          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                          X