Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tuning peg washer stuck to headstock's face...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tuning peg washer stuck to headstock's face...

I was in the middle of swapping the tuners on a guitar. Seems the washers are stuck to the headstock's face from the pressure (and time) of the threaded nut.

Any advice on how to remove them without disrupting/chipping/flaking the painted finish on the headstock's face?

Ouch. It sounds like maybe the hardware was put on before the clear coat was completely cured. Damn I hate that.

Comment

Yeah my fault. It was weeks after I got the neck back painted. Didn't think about the whole curing process. I only think of it when I'm curing meats not fiddles.

Thought about using a hair-dryer to 'warm' it up a bit.

Comment

JUst take a small screwdriver and pry it out from the inside of the washer and it should pop right off.
        It's pronounced soops

Comment

^^ maybe before you do this, score around them with a razor blade a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
            ^^ maybe before you do this, score around them with a razor blade a bit.
            Or use a blow dryer to warm the paint up a bit. It may soften it enough so you can get them off
            It's pronounced soops

Comment

Or rub the washers with a soldering iron for a few minutes so the heat is focused on that spot only. Hair dryer won't be very precise.
              Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Originally posted by warlok View Post
                Or rub the washers with a soldering iron for a few minutes so the heat is focused on that spot only. Hair dryer won't be very precise.
                And might rip up a lot of paint by accident.

Comment

I'm thinking combine all these ideas into a total all-out blitzkrieg of hair dryer, screwdriver, razor blade, and soldering iron all simultaneously (with background music by Pantera). Those goddamn washers won't know what hit 'em.

Comment

Or leave the washers on it, if they can be used with the replacements.
                    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                      I'm thinking combine all these ideas into a total all-out blitzkrieg of hair dryer, screwdriver, razor blade, and soldering iron all simultaneously (with background music by Pantera). Those goddamn washers won't know what hit 'em.
                      Negative Ghost Rider, the correct answer is put on some Nitro and sing like Jim Gillette. The clear around the washers will shatter like glass, allowing for easy removal.

[/like a freight train]

Comment

Originally posted by SausageofPower View Post
                        Negative Ghost Rider, the correct answer is put on some Nitro and sing like Jim Gillette. The clear around the washers will shatter like glass, allowing for easy removal.

[/like a freight train]
                        Or use a machine gun like Eddie!
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Exactly. Just make sure that you have an adequate roll of socks in your crotchal region for either method.

Comment

Working...
                          X