JT-590 Saddle lock screw stripped

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JT-590 Saddle lock screw stripped

Did a dive bomb and my low E saddle came out of it's position on the JT-590. Turns out the little screw that holds it down in position for proper intonation has been stripped? It just keeps turning in the hole without getting tight.

What are my options? Do I need to retap the hole with a slightly larger thread?

You could try to tap and helicoil it. That way you can reuse the same screw size.
    Poor mans alternative is to get a slightly longer screw and put a flat nut on the back side of the base plate to lock it down.
    -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
      You could try to tap and helicoil it. That way you can reuse the same screw size.
      Poor mans alternative is to get a slightly longer screw and put a flat nut on the back side of the base plate to lock it down.
      Thanks for the reply... What about using a different style screw? One of the saddles has the hex style screw from an OFR instead of the normal screws used on the jt-590?

Comment

Originally posted by djpharoah View Post
        Thanks for the reply... What about using a different style screw? One of the saddles has the hex style screw from an OFR instead of the normal screws used on the jt-590?
        You can try it.
        I believe OFR saddle screws and the JT-590 screws are the same size, so it may still slip if the threads on the base plate are damaged.
        -Rick

Comment

Looks like the OFR saddle screws are a bit bigger but it works. Thanks for the help - just gotta tune up and enjoy.

Comment

Sounds like the baseplate is fine and only the screw was stripped. That's good news for sure.
            Just be careful torquing the lock screw. Since you said it is slightly larger, you could run the risk of damaging the base plate itself.
            -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
              Sounds like the baseplate is fine and only the screw was stripped. That's good news for sure.
              Just be careful torquing the lock screw. Since you said it is slightly larger, you could run the risk of damaging the base plate itself.
              Definitely - My pet peeve is when I get a guitar and nut and screws on the floyd rose trem are overtightened and the saddle blocks are all cracked... people need to realize you only need a little bit of torque.

Comment

People do over tighten those so they will get the threads pulled.Most of the tine the allen head get rounded out.
                Budman here carries replacements IIRC
                Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I think someone was offering to repair baseplates on this forum? Or is my memory going out?

Comment

Good to know - though I'm set for now. Seems like the screw might have been stripped out.

Comment

Working...
                    X