Frudua method for setting up Floyd Rose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frudua method for setting up Floyd Rose

I've been having major problems setting up a Floyd Rose and saw this method on youtube. It appears to represent a systematic - and quick - method for getting a floating trem system set up. Anybody have experience with it? Also, would there be any potential concerns in using this method?

In case you haven't seen it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQQT9-Y0R9A

It is frustrating. My questions are: is this your first Floyd? , how old is it and the guitar?, how straight is the neck? From what I saw on the video, it looks like the way I set mine up. I don't use the wood, I use a dusting cloth. But that looks like a decent way to set up a Floyd.
    Jackson Adrian Smith SDX
    LTD EC401VF
    Gibby Les Paul
    Ibanez RG220D O Natural
    Fender Parts Caster
    Oranger Tiny Terror Head
    2) Orange PPC 1X12 Celestion Vintage 30
    TU2 Tuner
    Dunlop Cantrell Wah
    Fulltone 70's Fuzz
    Fulltone Distortion Pro1
    Fulltone Mosfet 2
    Fulltone OCD OD
    Fulltone Deja Vibe

Comment

Originally posted by chuckbat View Post
      It is frustrating. My questions are: is this your first Floyd? , how old is it and the guitar?, how straight is the neck? From what I saw on the video, it looks like the way I set mine up. I don't use the wood, I use a dusting cloth. But that looks like a decent way to set up a Floyd.
      I've had one before but used it as a hard tail.

Guitar is a new Jackson elite. Not at home to tell you about the neck's current status...I can see there will be quite a learning curve, but I've GOTTA learn it!

Comment

Oh, and using that approach: do you think repeatedly screwing the trem screws in and out of the body is bad for the guitar?

Comment

Oh this guy. He has the video on how to make your neck 10 times faster!!!111

I would be weary about jamming something (wood and plastic) between the tremolo and the guitar. When I change tuning I just adjust the trem screws and tuners by guessing and get pretty close because I've done it so much... but I've never done more than a one step change. Whatever works, though.

Comment

A famous tech to the stars that I happen to know showed me a trick that he has used for years.

He takes a small metal ruler around eight inches long and covers one side in velcro. The soft portion of the velcro that is.

He then sticks this behind and under the Floyd while removing strings.

The theory is that the Floyd will not "pull back" due to there being no strings attached.

Same principle as the block of wood but better as it allows you to get behind with the allen key and loosen the clamps.

Who is this great tech you ask?

Well here is a good hint. He perfected this method while setting up tons of Ibanez Jem's over the years for some "little Italian Virtuoso" as Zappa called him! LOL!
            Last edited by vklobucar; 05-07-2012, 05:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dannibal Corpse View Post
              Oh, and using that approach: do you think repeatedly screwing the trem screws in and out of the body is bad for the guitar?
              Using his approach, you wouldn't really be repeatedly screwing the trem screws. Once you've got it set up, unless you change tunings over and over or string gauges over and over, the trem should float roughly the same with routine string changes.
              For string gauge changes and tuning changes, you should just have more guitars!
              My Charvel/Jackson Family

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I'm so frustrated and I am hoping tonight's attempt goes better. Yes, basically I'm taking a new guitar an tuning to Bb with 65s for a death metal project. This guitar will stay in this tuning. I guess I'm gonna try the frudua method and pray I don't irrevocably screw something up.

Comment

I love setting up floyds.
                  -Now....shut up n play yer guitar

Comment

Ok better but the trem system is up in the rear a bit which would require tightening trem springs into body, but the screws feel pretty tight. I was confused because there was clearly a lot of screw that could go into body. Wondered if this means I'm fighting string tension and just need to dive the trem bar to tighten them further....

Comment

How many springs? Maybe add 1, or 2.
                      "illegal downloading saved people from having to buy that piece of shit you tried to pass off as music" - Nighbat

Comment

3 springs

Comment

Try this. It's a tutorial by a FR employee.

http://musicgearsource.blogspot.com/...rom-floyd.html

Comment

I couldn't watch more than a minute of the video with the guys accent so I don't know what he's saying to do. But if it's tuned to the pitch you want and the back of the trem is still in the air, you simply need more spring tension. No other physics or rocket science about it. Either screw the claw in more or add more springs to balance spring tension and string tension. That's all there is to leveling the base plate at whatever tuning you want. Order I go when I setup is:
                            -Adjust truss rod = neck relief.
                            -Check nut height and shim as necessary for string height at 1st fret.
                            -Spring tension = trem angle.
                            -Trem height screws = string height.
                            -Intonate.
                            **Go back and check/adjust each again as many times as needed till I feel it's perfect.**
                            Play the holy hell out of it!!
                            Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dannibal Corpse View Post
                              No. But make sure you use the right size screwdriver.
                              Jackson Adrian Smith SDX
                              LTD EC401VF
                              Gibby Les Paul
                              Ibanez RG220D O Natural
                              Fender Parts Caster
                              Oranger Tiny Terror Head
                              2) Orange PPC 1X12 Celestion Vintage 30
                              TU2 Tuner
                              Dunlop Cantrell Wah
                              Fulltone 70's Fuzz
                              Fulltone Distortion Pro1
                              Fulltone Mosfet 2