Removing the finish from the neck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing the finish from the neck

Hey guys, I'm going to refret my old Model 4 soon and I was thinking of removing the clear finish on the back on the neck and applying tung oil while I'm at it. I just like the feel of an unfinished neck, ever since I tried one of DeMartini signatures. So, my first question is - is this a good idea, and second - will this affect in any way the resale value of the guitar? I would say no, because it's just an old import, but I would like to hear your opinions as well.
    Two guitars are better than one.

1. Dunno.

2. Of course.

Might want to take a look at what AlienXNation "tries" selling these for on ebay

Comment

I don't think it's a bad idea. I was thinking about doing the same to one of my necks. I'm not worried about resale value, and if you aren't either I say go for it.

Comment

I'd do it, the oil finishes feel way better than poly. The refret, especially considering the quality of the fretwork, will affect the value more than this. The last poly neck I had refretted had to get refinished in poly due to the refret. So, you are looking at a refin no matter what to get it 100%. Personally I'd opt for Tru Oil, only because it is more in keeping with Charvel tradition.

Comment

@ DonP - yeah I know, that guy must be on drugs 24/7

Thanks for your responses guys, and I'll definitely try Tru Oil.
          Two guitars are better than one.

Comment

Working...
          X