Hey there buds ! Share your exp !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey there buds ! Share your exp !

So, I decided that my Sh-4 has to go and I'm willing to replace it for something more t3h brootalz. Right now I'm thinking about Bill Lawrence (USA, not original made by the man himself). I can't choose between l-500 and l-500xl. I'm not Pantera fanboy, so don't expect me to go for Brotha Daim tones. I'm just curious about the outputs - I think l-500 would suit me better since it has less output than xl.

So have any of you tried 'em out and if you do, what can you say about them ? Thanks you !

Bumping !

Comment

Why would you want a BL USA instead of a "real" BL? Also if youre goin for brootalz(lol) why would you prefer less output when you could have more?
      Go dimarzio x2n and call it a day

Comment

I have a USA L500XL that came OEM in my 1995 RR1. Sounds good.

Comment

Originally posted by jdr94 View Post
          Why would you want a BL USA instead of a "real" BL? Also if youre goin for brootalz(lol) why would you prefer less output when you could have more?
          Go dimarzio x2n and call it a day
          Easier to get, cheaper price and cheaper shipping. I did my research and USA one is made by original specs, while Wilde one is moded over time. I think about going with the regular one (l-500) because I think it will blend better with SD Jazz which I have in neck position. Also, X2n is too fucking expensive here.

Comment

Bill Lawrence (the man himself) is amazing about international shipping. Also, the USA ones are horrendously inconsistent. I've heard there's nearly no quality control. They also use epoxy to pot the pickups instead of wax, and don't do a very good job of it usually. Also, the L-500XL, I'm pretty sure, is hotter than the X2N. It's an amazing bridge pickup, and incredibly clear. You don't realize how bad you play until you have a guitar with an evolution or an l-500xl. It will also blend just fine with the jazz in the neck, you just might have to raise the jazz a bit. Also, the Wilde one wasn't really modded. Ceramic magnets were getting harder to come by for him so he switched to A5. He changed the rest of the variables in the pickup so that it would sound the same as the old ceramic version. The guys a genius. He designs this stuff out on paper and does the electromagnetism equations beforehand, so when he designs a pickup, he knows exactly what it will be like before he even makes it. He even rates his pickups in Henries. I'm not sure Seymour even knows what inductance is

Comment

^ oh, thank you Damn, neptoess, you're like my godfather here xD Anyway, so far one guy offered me a trade my JB for something, gonna check out what he offers (I hope for a ducnan distortion). Untill then, still dreaming of that bill lawrence pu.

Comment

I just did alot of research on Bill Lawrence, and love his pickups. They're the shit, but I really only like them in all mahogany guitars. They're pretty bright

Comment

^ all mahogany you say ? It looks like I'm gonna pass that one then and go for a duncan distortion.

Comment

That's just personal preference. It's not like a humbucker from hell or anything. I like a warm tone with some edge coming out of my guitar. The L-500XL gives a dark mahogany guitar that nice bite. Drop it in something like a strat though and it just rips. The L-500s are just really transparent and have alot of presence. That's it to them. They don't really have much of a "tone" I've done it in an alder/maple bolton, basswood/quilted maple/maple bolton and a all mahogany set neck. The only one I didn't like it in was basswood, because basswood's tone isn't all too pleasing to me

Comment

Edit.... Sorry again.
                      Last edited by Radiohead; 04-21-2012, 04:55 PM.

Comment

Quote removed

no worries. Just be sure to know the rules
                        Last edited by jdr94; 04-21-2012, 07:36 PM.

Comment

Sorry everyone. Honest mistake. I will Edit the previous post.

Comment

Working...
                          X