Grounding issue...HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grounding issue...HELP!

Ok, here is the issue. I have a Jackson DK2M, pulled the JB/Jazz out of her and installed the Doug Aldrich Suhr pickups. According to Suhr they wire up exactly like SD humbuckers. I have wired up 20 or 30 guitars in my day so I am not exactly a novice. Here is what I installed. Dimarzio 500K pots (new), the pups (new) and rewired the 3-way switch and jack. The DK had extra grounds...1 in each pup cavity grounded to the original pots I believe. I first wired up the new pot just like the originals including the extra grounds in the pup cavities. After getting severe hum when touching the pup, ring or any of the pup ring mounting screws and pup adjustment screws (both bridge and neck). I removed those grounds and used the trem claw ground as the primary. Once I buttoned everything up, I plugged her in and the guitar sounds amazing. Just excellent tone...except, if I touch the pup ring, ring screws, or pickup itself I still get a nice loud hum. I resoldered all the grounds, made sure all grounds terminate in the same location (volume pot) and still the hum. Changed out the pup rings for quality metal ones and made sure the adjustment screws were not touching the bottom of the pup cavity and still it hums...I am at a loss...should I change out the pots again? Any ideas? This is the 1st time I have been unable to track down an issue and it is driving me crazy!

:think: :think: :think: :think: :think: :think:
    Last edited by BigE13; 04-18-2012, 06:50 PM.
    "Rule number one: In my van, it's Rush. All Rush, all the time. No exceptions. Rule number two: Nobody touch the red button. And I mean never touch the red button. Most importantly, rule number three: There's no jerking it in my van!"

Kemper 600 watt Profiling Amp
    ENGL Powerball II
    Peavey 5150 4x12 Slant Cab
    Mesa 4 x 12 Slant Cab
    Marshall 2x12 Cab

2010 Jackson SL2H Trans Blue
    1988 Charvel 750XL Trans Cherry Burst
    1989 Charvel 750XL Trans Cherry Burst Hardtail
    2011 Jackson DK2M Blue
    2011 Jackson DK2M Black
    1987 Charvel Model 2 White
    2012 Charvel Dimartini Crossed Swords
    1991 Charvel Dinky 080-SH Blue Crackle
    1990 Grover Jackson Dinky Trans Purple
    2010 Jackson Mutt Slime Green
    2012 Charvel Jap Pro Mod Candy Blue
    2006 Gibson Les Paul Custom Black
    2003 Gibson Les Paul R9 Custom Shop Reissue
    2013 Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro Silverburst
    2013 Epiphone Plus Top Pro w/ Bonamassa pups
    2014 PRS SE Custom 24 Emerald Green
    1987 Tokai Silver Star Strat

Check the out put jack first.
    Its a ground issue no doubt. Check if there are any bad solder joints for the hot and ground for each pick up.
    Did you ground the correct tab to the case of each pot.Just running a wire from the tab to the pot isn't a solid ground.Is the cap grounded properly as well?
    Post a pic of the cavity so we can maybe trace down your problem.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Good points, let me try to run each one down. If no success I will post a pic! Thanks!
      "Rule number one: In my van, it's Rush. All Rush, all the time. No exceptions. Rule number two: Nobody touch the red button. And I mean never touch the red button. Most importantly, rule number three: There's no jerking it in my van!"

ENGL Powerball II
      Mesa 4 x 12 Slant Cab
      Marshall 2x12 Cab

2011 Jackson DK2M Blue
      2011 Jackson DK2M Black

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
        Did you ground the correct tab to the case of each pot.Just running a wire from the tab to the pot isn't a solid ground.
        Sorry to threadjack, but can you explain this Straycat?

Not sure I am understanding this.

Comment

This is your setup right?

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support...ic=2h_1v_1t_3w

I have this setup when I installed the Seymour Duncan SH-13/SH-1 combo. When you touch the pickup itself you probably will get some hum, I did get a lot on the SH-13 when I touched it as it has high output... but the SH-1 I didn't really get any. I was under the impression the poles on these pickups will buzz when you touch them... as long as I don't get buzz on the switches and knobs, I've always been good. But I'm far from a wiring pro, I just like to do things myself

Comment

Originally posted by decadence5423 View Post
            This is your setup right?

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support...ic=2h_1v_1t_3w

I have this setup when I installed the Seymour Duncan SH-13/SH-1 combo. When you touch the pickup itself you probably will get some hum, I did get a lot on the SH-13 when I touched it as it has high output... but the SH-1 I didn't really get any. I was under the impression the poles on these pickups will buzz when you touch them... as long as I don't get buzz on the switches and knobs, I've always been good. But I'm far from a wiring pro, I just like to do things myself
            The big issue is that when I touch the metal pickup ring and screws that makes it hum like crazy and the pup adjustment screws as well. No hum when I am not touching the pup or ring or screws...which is the reverse of most of the grounding issues I have read about. Most of what I heard was the pups are noisy until touched because your body grounds them stopping the hum...that is why I am a bit confounded!

And, yes that is the exact schematic I have used at least 10 times...my 3 way switch is the blade style with all the posts on the same side...
            Last edited by BigE13; 04-19-2012, 01:55 PM.

ENGL Powerball II
            Mesa 4 x 12 Slant Cab
            Marshall 2x12 Cab

2011 Jackson DK2M Blue
            2011 Jackson DK2M Black

Comment

As far as touching the pup poles themselves and having it buzz, i think that's normal. The simplest solution would probably be use plastic pup rings, or try to separate the pickup from the rings totally, rubber washer the adjustment screws, put come kind of coating over them,..something.

Usually in these cases, with people trying to help over the internet and barring the obvious type things, i find the only way to fix em is to figure it out on your own when it comes down to it.
              Rewire everything, separate everything, test it like this test it like that. ect.

If it happens on both of your pickups, check the wiring you did on the switch, check the solder joints on the grounds.

Comment

Ok, I feel like a dumb @ss. Opened up the cavity to resolder all the connections and started at the jack. Solder points looked and felt solid but I redid them anyways, still hummed like crazy when touching the screws, rings etc...so on to the grounds on the pots. Wait a minute...the green and bare wires are the grounds, not the black leads. I had them backwards! I really feel stupid. The pups had sounded great when I was not touching them so I never considered the pups were miswired. So, I swapped the leads and just for good measure resoldered all the other grounds. Bam! They sound awesome and are dead quiet when touching the screws and rings etc...mystery solved. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I am just a knucklehead. Jeeze! lol.

ENGL Powerball II
                Mesa 4 x 12 Slant Cab
                Marshall 2x12 Cab

2011 Jackson DK2M Blue
                2011 Jackson DK2M Black

Comment

Ha ha I was about to say it sounds like theyre reversed since when you touch the tip of a cable it would do that. Glad you got it

Comment

Working...
                  X