Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• problems with pinch harmonics?

Hi guys,
    Long time les paul player and just got a charvel. I can pinch all over the les paul but am having problems on the charvel. It seems harder to coax out and it's just not as prominent.

I'm hoping that it's a mix of figuring out the area to pinch(longer scale neck) and my picking hand is in a different area(can't really rest it on the bridge now). But in addition, do you think a setup would help?

Note, in general, the guitar plays fine, no glaring issues, the strings aren't 1/2" off the board, etc...haha I am running 10s in there but I don't think that should be an issue either. Oh, and the amp is on high gain and the pickup is pretty close to the strings, so I think there's more than enough gain...

thoughts? besides you suck! :mrgreen:

It's all in the scale. You're used to a Gibson scale, the harmonics are in different locations on the Fender scale. Use your left hand to find the harmonics, so you know where to "pinch".
    "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

Comment

watch that the pickup isn't too close to the strings. it will dampen the string and affect your harmonics
      Hail yesterday

Comment

What distance is recommended for maximum pingage?
        GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Whatever works.

It's also a question of the bridge type. I used to pinch my LP like mad, but it took me a few tries to nail them with anything Floyded, largely because I was so used to a certain attack angle afforded by the LP body shape/bridge area. A flatter string arc, as well as the strings being closer to the surface of the body, as well as the change of arm angle going from LP to Strat-shapes would be the primary culprit, as I can work a Warrior as easily as an LP, even with the longer scale and being Floyded.
          The Warrior's body shape allows the same pick hand/arm attack angle as an LP.

Provided, of course, you're not using the upper wing for an arm rest like Mathias Jabs.
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

That is all good advice, but some guitars just don't get 'em, no matter how good your ability is, or you get the harmonic and it quickly fades, before you can whammy it up or down even. Some guitars just don't have the sonic ability despite the technique and have a "dead" sound.
            "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
            Gotta get away from here.
            Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
            Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

I`ve always found it easier to coax pinch harmonics out of a guitar that has a lower string tension...
              The more string tension on a guitar, the harder I have to work and try for a pinch harmonic it seems and yeah, on some guitars it just aint gonna happen.
              That`s just what happens with me though... and between different players there are alot of variables.

As said above, whatever works..... and whatever does`nt, I guess...

Comment

Pickup height is pretty basic. Basically fretting the high E at the last fret, there should be about a US nickel's thickness between the high E and the pickup's highest part. 2 nickel's on the low E fretted last fret. Also, watch your action. Buzzing action will choke the harmonic. Going from scale to scale is hard though. I feel like I need to move my hand closer to the bridge on fender scales to get the same harmonics I get on gibson scales with my hand in my regular picking location.

Comment

Well, I too have been having issues coaxing those pinch harmonics but after reading this thread I have found my hand position has everything to do with it. Not sure how everyone else gets their harmonic but for me, I touch the string with the edge of my thumb knuckle. I currently have 3 different guitars. A LTD MH100-QM, Squire II Fat Strat HM, and a Jackson Kelly KE3. I could pinch plenty with the LTD, some of the time with the Squire, and couldn't get any on the Kelly so, I tested the theory of hand position posted before. All the guitars are strung with new Earnie Ball .08s and have Floyds except for the Squire.
                  Sure enough, the wing of the Kelly was making my hand line up wrong. The sweet spot is smack dab in the middle of the pickups. once I found the spot I was able to adjust and pinch them with ease.
                  The Squire is a shorter scale and I found the sweet spot between the neck and middle pickups.
                  I don't know about the OP but I learned something new and this thread solved the problem for me.
                  Turn the volume to 10 and rip off the knob!

Currently Shredding:
                  2007 Jackson DK2M
                  1983 Kramer Pacer Special
                  2013 Kramer 5150 Kit
                  2000ish RR Knockoff refinish.

Comment

God damn, 8s?!?! I can't even play 9s without breaking them in 15 minutes

Comment

I don't notice as much pinch affect on some of the coated strings. Is that just my imagination or is there any logic to that?
                      Jackson KV2
                      Jackson KE1T
                      Jackson KE1F
                      Jackson SL1

Comment

Originally posted by neptoess View Post
                        God damn, 8s?!?! I can't even play 9s without breaking them in 15 minutes
                        Don't feel bad, It's taken me years to lighten my touch. I also use the thin red tortex picks. I haven't broken a string in years. Great! now that I've said that I'll probably break every high E string I have!
                        Turn the volume to 10 and rip off the knob!

Currently Shredding:
                        2007 Jackson DK2M
                        1983 Kramer Pacer Special
                        2013 Kramer 5150 Kit
                        2000ish RR Knockoff refinish.

Comment

Originally posted by Larz View Post
                          I don't notice as much pinch affect on some of the coated strings. Is that just my imagination or is there any logic to that?
                          Depends on the brand/style of coating honestly. As for the logic, no one would argue that a finished piece of wood would resonate better than a bare one. The finish can be thought of like a tightly squeezing plastic wrap. It has some give, but will generally dampen. String coating is similar As harmonics don't have the string vibrating very strongly, this loss is noticeable. That being said, I can pinch on any string/guitar. Acoustic,nylon,stainless steel,pure nickel,coated,w/e. All possible

Comment

Coated strings do dampen the vibration and make it harder.
                            Pick up height plays a big role too Passive pick ups shouldn't be too close to the strings. Too close and you lose the dynamic property of the pick up.
                            Its a combination of correct set up too.
                            Last edited by straycat; 04-18-2012, 01:39 PM.
                            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                              Coated strings do dampen the vibration and make it harder.
                              Pick up height plays a big role too Passive pick ups shouldn't be too close to the strings. Too close and you lose the dynamic property of the pick up.
                              Its a combination of correct set up too.
                              EMGs are like the god pickups of pinches because they have like no string pull and stupid high output. Proper setup for them is as close as possible. You hit a really good point about passives being too close though. Common mistake

Comment

Working...
                              X