Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9s, 10s, or beyond?

Hey guys,
    So I'm messing around with a charvel I just got and it seems it's running 10s. From what I remember, isn't stock 9s? That being said, what's your preference? I'm debating on going down to 9s as the playability might be easier(not that the 10s are bad) but I'm concerned at a possible loss of tone and having to reintonate. Just wanted to see if there was a general consensus and/or any benefits/detrimental effects I might be overlooking.

Thanks!!

i use 9-42 because i have mild arthritis in my left hand....it makes for easier playing.
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

I've always used 9s on all of my guitars.
      Breaking Point, my all instrumental CD available here:
      www.cdbaby.com/cd/richardjamessounds

http://www.amazon.com/Breaking-Point...92366&sr=301-1

http://youtube.com/user/jsrmusic

Comment

I use 9s on my 25 1/2 scales, 10s on my 24 3/4 scales.

Comment

What tone are you going for? If you like how it sounds now why change it?
          It's pronounced soops

Comment

I use 10's on all my floyds. l dig the feel and tone. TBH though, I actually think floyds work best with 9's. l'm sure others will beg to differ but.....thats what l have found and l have only ever played gits with floyds.....
            -Now....shut up n play yer guitar

Comment

10s will give back a bit of the tonal beef that a Floyd will take from certain guitars, while on others it's more like twice as much work to play them for the same tone as 9s.

I use 9s for everything. It was good enough for Iommi to do crushing riffs like Into The Void, it's good enough for me.
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

8s...........

Comment

on my guitar I use 9s but if you want to be playing better solos ,I believe that the 8s are the best...

Comment

Can you guys really tell the difference in tone in between 9's and 10's?

Comment

I use 10's in E Standard, and whenever I tune a full step down I use 1 gauge higher, (ie. D standard I use 11's, C standard 12's, etc), but when I go a half step down I use the string gauge I use for a half step higher, (ie. D# I use 10's, C# 11's, B standard 12's, etc).

I love the bite you get out of them, and they're comfortable. When I use 9's in E standard or 10's in D they just feel floppy and almost easier to use, which I for some reason don't like

Originally posted by 1neeto View Post
                      Yes, especially if it's unplugged.

Comment

Absolutely.... for most occasions I use 9-46's. The reason being is when I change over to drop D, it doesn't feel like I am playing a spaghetti noodle.
                        Insert annoying equipment list here....

Comment

You should hear the tone of my RR's unplugged with 10-60 in D, it's HUGE!!!

I actually use those in Eb, but my new band is in D.
                          "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

Comment

I don`t automatically fall into line with the bigger strings = bigger tone theory...

I think try some different sets and the set you feel most comfortable with is the set that you`re gonna be squeezing the biggest tones out of.

I use 9-42 for playabiltiy and comfort alone.... `Tone` comes when your most comfortable with whats under your fingers IMO

Comment

I've tried 10's before and they were ok, but nothing but 9's for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X