Little help - input wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Little help - input wanted

Hey guys – looking for some input. I recently acquired a guitar that needed some work.. it is all buttoned up except for the bridge pickup.

It is a superstrat with a recessed trem, and based on the weight – it weighs as much as my 77 LP Standard – I’m pretty damn sure it is maple.

The rout is shallow and direct mount, but has a pickup rout that does not accommodate legs (ie flat bottom rout).
    I do not want to take a router, chisel or drill to it and mess up the paint job (even though it is in the pickup cavity – you will see why when it is done).

Anyway – I originally intended to put a vintage Seymour Duncan JBL or Duncan Custom DCL in the bridge… but now I either have to rout the cavity or mod the legs. Do you know if Seymour Duncan sells shorter leg baseplates?

One other option I have is an old JB ripoff that came out of a ’94 ESP M-II Deluxe.. it would be a drop in.. but I don’t remember it being all that impressive in that guitar. That plate is not swappable on the Duncans without ALOT of work

Otherwise, if I don’t stick to the older pickups, I can probably just buy one for direct mount (pointing it out before someone else does).. but I’d really like to try to make this thing a legit 80’s throwback.

Thoughts on easiest and/or best option? Thanks

Not sure on the base plate, but I imagine SD could sell you one.

You do know the JBL and DCL will sound less great than the JBJ or DCJ?

Comment

Guess I'll give SD a call later
      lol.. my bad as well... they are "j"s...

Comment

Dremel the legs is an option, but if the paint's just in the cavity, route the cavity man. No one will see it. If so, you can alway grab some brushon model paint and do a quick touchup

Comment

Depends on how deep the trem spring cavity route is - making the leg holes deeper could punch through, as was often the case with some 80s models.

Otherwise, a recessed trem would indicate to me it's not a Lynch or EVH type of model, so I'm curious to know what's so great about the paint that it can't be altered, especialyl since long-leg Duncans were the norm back then.
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
          X