Mounting Stud Insert problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mounting Stud Insert problem

A trem insert on my JT-590 has sunken in a bit, it's clearly visible in the pic. What's the fix, pull the bushing, dowel and redrill? If i put the trem post in and pull up some, it does move. I'm not too happy about this

If it moves, a dowel and re-drill would be the most reliable fix for it.
    The issue is you have to drill the hole out bigger than it currently is to put in a large enough dowel to allow for re-drilling. This will require some paint touch up afterwards.
    If you use the current hole and simply glue a new dowel in, it will disintegrate when you go to drill it out.

If you never intend to pull them, you could coat the inserts in epoxy and set it for good.
    Last edited by rjohnstone; 04-10-2012, 04:41 PM.
    -Rick

Comment

Looks like the body wood is cracking too.

I'd likely do the epoxy as well. Maybe first try to get some glue into the body crack first.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. For sure the finish has a crack, I imagine the only way to know for sure if the wood is cracked is to remove the finish?

Comment

You could mix the epoxy with sawdust and smear it around inside until thre's enough to slightly squirt out of the top when you pound the studs in or skip mixing in the dust. The dowel thing is better if you're going to refinish though

Comment

Originally posted by Sharkfin View Post
            Thanks for the input guys. For sure the finish has a crack, I imagine the only way to know for sure if the wood is cracked is to remove the finish?
            No need to remove the finish.
            Once you pull the insert, you will be able to see if the crack is in the wood or on the surface.
            From what I can see, it looks like the crack is in the finish only as I don't see the crack continuing down the edge of the insert hole.
            -Rick

Comment

By the way, what finish is that?

Comment

Originally posted by neptoess View Post
                You could mix the epoxy with sawdust and smear it around inside until thre's enough to slightly squirt out of the top when you pound the studs in or skip mixing in the dust. The dowel thing is better if you're going to refinish though
                That sounds like a good way to fix a problem I'm having. DK2 neck, Floyd nut holes drilled in the wrong location. I need to fill and re-drill.

Comment

Originally posted by Ward View Post
                  By the way, what finish is that?

While I do like the color variation of the graphic I'm not opposed to getting it redone by M. Learn. It's the rev. head stock & inlays that do it for me.

Comment

I thought it was that one. I've seen a pic of it before.

Agreed, that is a sweet guitar whether you like the graphic or not.

Comment

Ah, I remember that one. Her little claw hand freaks me out. Also agree that it is a bad ass axe regardless. Good luck with the FR posts.

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
                        No need to remove the finish.
                        Once you pull the insert, you will be able to see if the crack is in the wood or on the surface.
                        From what I can see, it looks like the crack is in the finish only as I don't see the crack continuing down the edge of the insert hole.
                        Gotcha, thanks. I took the strings,the bridge and the posts off, so it's just sitting in its case. Is there a possibly of doing more finish damage if I pull the insert out myself?

Comment

Oh that spider claw butt titted mega bicep lady is a classic!

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                            Oh that spider claw butt titted mega bicep lady is a classic!
                            After looking at the graphic for a bit yesterday I think I figured out what it's supposed to be. If you look at the guitar in the playing position, this alien chick on her back taking in the sun.

Comment

Originally posted by Sharkfin View Post
                              Gotcha, thanks. I took the strings,the bridge and the posts off, so it's just sitting in its case. Is there a possibly of doing more finish damage if I pull the insert out myself?
                              The finish should be fine. Sully has a tutorial in one of the stickies for removing inserts that works perfectly.
                              Here's the link: http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/526...l=1#post460355
                              -Rick

Comment

Working...
                              X