Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

which brass block size do I need and will it block?(I want it to block pulls)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which brass block size do I need and will it block?(I want it to block pulls)

Hi guys,
    I'm pretty much a n00b on the floyd stuff, but I wanted to try adding a brass block to my san dimas. I also hope to install a dtuna as well. That being said, what size brass block can I go with?

I also read that if you get a big enough one, it can block the trem, but is that a full block or just so I can only dive bomb? I need to block pull ups if I install the dtuna, but I want to be able to bomb...

Any help would be appreciated!

If it's a top mount, it should fit a 42mm, but always measure. Also, both axcessories and flpydupgrades sell cheap ($10) trem stoppers. Get one of those

Comment

Thanks, nep! It is a top mount...so to clarify, the concern from going from 37mm(the block says 37) to 42mm is that the block may hit the back cover?

Comment

Your original block says 37mm? If so, I would replace it with a 37mm. That's the height of the block from trem base plate to where the springs attach, so yes, if you get a 42mm you run the risk of having it stick out the back of your guitar so you can't get a back plate on.

Some guitars have some extra room there, some don't. If you really want the extra mass of a 42mm, measure to see if you have at least 5-6mm of space between the back cover and where the springs sit now.

As Neptoess recommended, I would go for an actual trem stopper instead of trying to use the block as a trem stopper too.

Comment

I put a 37mm in a SL2H that came with a 32mm. The only issue I have were the springs poking out hitting the cover. I hit it quickly with a Dremel tool and no more issues.

Comment

Every guitar is different though. If your measurements are close, it may require some extra work (like dremelling or running without a backplate) to get everything on the up and up

Comment

Hmm..thanks for the info guys...but if I get another block that is 37mm(same size as stock), won't it pretty much be the same? I heard that the charvel stock block is brass(and then coated with something). I'm thinking same size, pretty much same materials(short of the coating), same tone?

Comment

Originally posted by alphadog808 View Post
                Hmm..thanks for the info guys...but if I get another block that is 37mm(same size as stock), won't it pretty much be the same? I heard that the charvel stock block is brass(and then coated with something). I'm thinking same size, pretty much same materials(short of the coating), same tone?
                From what I gather, the tone doesnt change THAT much from a big block

Comment

Really? I've heard different...lots of reviews mentioning a distinct change...but if you dropped money, I'm sure you'd hear a difference...

I was just thinking, when I was looking at the cavity last night, there wasn't much uppull room back there for a bigger block...I think? Since the floyd wasn't recessed, there was only a small gap between the stock block and guitar for pull up, so I'm wondering if the bigger block might be too much and fill that gap too much? If that happens, then the floyd plate won't be flush to the guitar...bad no?

Sorry, I'm a floyd n00b!

Comment

I don't think the big blocks are THAT big that the proper trem angle can't be set. There are alot of people without recessed floyds using those. You'd have heard about it by now if it was an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by alphadog808 View Post
                      Not sure, but I was told that the standard blocks are pot metal, not high quality brass like the big blocks. But that is coming straight from the site trying to sell big blocks . The big blocks are thicker than the standard blocks, so if you get the same 37mm, you are getting more size (mass) by way of the width of the block. So even if it is the same material, there is a difference. It will be the same height, but almost twice as thick. The weight difference is obvious when you hold them.

Comment

Originally posted by Ward View Post
                        Not sure, but I was told that the standard blocks are pot metal, not high quality brass like the big blocks. But that is coming straight from the site trying to sell big blocks . The big blocks are thicker than the standard blocks, so if you get the same 37mm, you are getting more size (mass) by way of the width of the block. So even if it is the same material, there is a difference. It will be the same height, but almost twice as thick. The weight difference is obvious when you hold them.
                        Thanks...yah, the twice as thick is what makes me worry some. I'd hate to put it in and find out the bridge can't sit flush. On the positive side, it would be a natural trem block! lol

Comment

You don't have to worry about the thickness affecting the tilt of the bridge. All of the extra thickness is on the side that faces away from the springs. The side of the block that faces the springs is no closer than it is with a regular block. If it sits flush now, it will with a big block.

PICT0911.jpg

This pic shows that the big block actually gains some room on the side of the springs over the standard block.

Comment

Originally posted by Ward View Post
                            You don't have to worry about the thickness affecting the tilt of the bridge. All of the extra thickness is on the side that faces away from the springs. The side of the block that faces the springs is no closer than it is with a regular block. If it sits flush now, it will with a big block.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3862[/ATTACH]

This pic shows that the big block actually gains some room on the side of the springs over the standard block.
                            Ward thanks for that. This is the one I'm looking at. From the look of it, the thickness is on both sides of the screw hole?

Here's the link to the auction...
                            http://www.ebay.com/itm/200744750747...ht_4948wt_1026

Comment

You're right. I had forgotten that, and that would make it sit forward toward the springs some.

So I don't know if it would be an issue for you. Depends how much room you have for movement now. I have never had a problem with clearance, but I have only swapped up 32mm blocks on recessed Floyds.

Comment

Working...
                              X