Refret with binding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refret with binding

I'm not ready for this yet, but it had me thinking the other day. How does this work? Is it possible to refret while keeping the binding intact or does the binding get removed and replaced?

I'm fairly certain that the binding isn't removed. The tangs on the frets are simply trimmed before they're installed (some people do this either way for a cleaner appearance).

Comment

Correct; you don’t take the binding off; when refretting a board with binding under the frets, the fret tangs are undercut so that the fret end can rest on top of the binding. Two very important things is to ensure that you get all of the glue out of the fret slot, especially near the binding wall. Granted, you need to make sure that the slots are clean before you do any type of refret, but it can be a little trickier when you have binding on there because you have to get the stuff out without damaging (or accidentally removing) the binding. The second part is that you have to undercut the frets enough so that you clear the binding, yet have enough tang in there to keep the fret in place. The other part is that you need to make sure that what’s left of the tang doesn’t hit the wall of the binding once the fret is pushed in and straightens out (remember that you generally overbend nickel frets so that they bite better. If you have too much tang, it’ll press the binding away from the fretboard as it is set.

When doing a “binding over frets” refret, you don’t have to undercut the tangs, but you do need to make sure that the new frets aren’t longer than the original frets are, otherwise you’re going to push the binding out when you seat the new fret. Takes more time, for sure. Granted, some people just remove the binding over fret nibs and make it a binding under frets type of deal, but I’d be pissed if I brought in a binding over guitar and left with a binding under because the guy doing the job was lazy.
      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
      Sully Guitars on Facebook
      Sully Guitars on Google+
      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Thanks for the explanation, Sully!

Comment

Working...
        X