Wiring issue 88-89(?) Charvel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring issue 88-89(?) Charvel

Hi all, I have an issue with my Charvel electric guitar I was hoping someone could help me out with. When I move the volume knob between about 3 to 8, it goes wooooooooop, almost like a feedback sound that will vary in pitch depending where the knob is set at. When the volume is at full, it sounds fine and all other controls appear to work as they should. When I first had this problem I took it into my local Long and Mcquade for service. When I got it back, the volume knob worked again but the guitar just didn't sound the same and a closer inspection showed that the tone controls no longer did anything. I recently opened it up to see what was going on in the wiring cavity and I noticed that there was a blue wire coming from one of the tone controls that did not go anywhere, and was coiled up around some other wires. (hidden perhaps?) I also noticed that the volume pot does appear to be new. I found a set of photos of a sImiliar system (see link below)it showed a circuit board like I have in mine, but I don't have the switches, I have a 5 way. Anyway the pics showed me where the blue wire goes and I re- soldered it. Suddenly I had my sound back and the tone controls worked BUT the woooooop sound is also back. I was hoping someone could tell me what is wrong with it??
    The guitar I bought second hand in '90 or 91. It has the Fort worth neck plate with gasket and is a strat style without a pick guard. It has volume and two tone controls with a 5 way switch. It of course has the battery to run whatever happens to make it sound so sweet. I found it difficult to date it ut research indicates somewhere around '88. Oh yeah the pickups all say Jacksom on themand it is a HSS.It's a great guitar with it's own unique sound so i am bummed out that it is messed up after being fine for so many years! Thanks for your help!

http://www.kramerforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37372

Did the blue wire go from the corner of the circuit board to the last pot, the one closest to the jack socket? (I take it that the circuit board is on the volume pot)
    When my model 4 was doing strange things (wooooping and the sound coming in and out), I replaced all the pots, make sure you use all the right values and tapers, I know normally it shouldnt matter too much, but when I deviated from what was stock, it sounded terrible. Also check the ground wires going to the jack socket. I replaced all to easy to replace wires. The guitar is perfect now.

Comment

Here's a link to high res photo of the wiring inside my Model 4, which will be slightly different as it has toggles rather than your 5-way. It does show the "blue wire".

Link

I'm not really sure what you mean by wooooping. Do you mean that if the strings are silent and you move the knob, it makes a noise through the amp? Is it a constant noise or does it stop if you stop moving the knob?

Comment

Originally posted by tinribs View Post
        Did the blue wire go from the corner of the circuit board to the last pot, the one closest to the jack socket? (I take it that the circuit board is on the volume pot)
        When my model 4 was doing strange things (wooooping and the sound coming in and out), I replaced all the pots, make sure you use all the right values and tapers, I know normally it shouldnt matter too much, but when I deviated from what was stock, it sounded terrible. Also check the ground wires going to the jack socket. I replaced all to easy to replace wires. The guitar is perfect now.
        Yes, blue wire from pot to corner of circuit board, exactly like the link to pictures I attached to first post.The circuit board is NOT attached to the volume pot, it is alone, just like in the picures in the attachment. The only thing different is I have a five way switch instead of toggles. I plan to have a closer look at the connections but am considering just an on of toggle instead of volume, seems you can't rely on anyone to work on these guitars.

Comment

@habanero
          Hey man, thanks, your pics are similar to what I showed earlier. The whooping sound in more detail, could even be a booooooop sound, if I were to right now go boooooooop in a falsetto voice, that is the sound. It is a constant sound that will continue as long as the volume knob is positioned between like 2 and 8. Also, it varies in pitch if you move the knob within that range. The sound is as loud as your amp is set at, and you cannot hear anything at all from the strings/pups while it is "in the boooop". Thanks for helping guys, let's figure this out!

Comment

Originally posted by Habanero View Post
            Here's a link to high res photo of the wiring inside my Model 4, which will be slightly different as it has toggles rather than your 5-way. It does show the "blue wire".

Link

I'm not really sure what you mean by wooooping. Do you mean that if the strings are silent and you move the knob, it makes a noise through the amp? Is it a constant noise or does it stop if you stop moving the knob?
            Hey man, thanks, your pics are similar to what I showed earlier. The whooping sound in more detail, could even be a booooooop sound, if I were to right now go boooooooop in a falsetto voice, that is the sound. It is a constant sound that will continue as long as the volume knob is positioned between like 2 and 8. Also, it varies in pitch if you move the knob within that range. The sound is as loud as your amp is set at, and you cannot hear anything at all from the strings/pups while it is "in the boooop". Thanks for helping guys, let's figure this out!

Comment

I think the whooping sound hes reffering to is more of an electronic squeal when the knob is turned. It changes the resistance of the short creating that sound. You may have a ground wire in the wrong place or a wire touching something else it shouldnt be. Double check all wires to make sure they are correct and secured. Check the jack too.
              Gil

Comment

Hey habanero gee whiz not sure what keeps happening to my posts. Anyway you pic is similar to what I attached to original post, but as discussed, I do have the 5 way switch. The sound could be imitated if you went "boooooooooooooooop" in falsetto as you ran the volume knob in and out of between 3 and 8. If you leave it in the zone it will continuously make that sound, you cannot hear any output from the strings/pups while it is in this zone, however there is a very small area into and out of it where the guitar sound is breaking up and the bloop is starting. Also, the pitch of the ooooooooooooooooooo changes depending on where the knob is positioned in that zone, you could even move the knob back and forth to create a warbling siren sound, but it's in no way cool.

Thanks for helping guys, any other thoughts before I try removing the volume pot from the equation???

Comment

I think it's probably worth swapping the pot for another, as I suspect that inside the resistive track is either corroded or broken.

Comment

Originally posted by Habanero View Post
                    I think it's probably worth swapping the pot for another, as I suspect that inside the resistive track is either corroded or broken.
                    Well the
                    man the volume pot is the only thing the shop replaced for me, I just am not sure if that is the problem. I just poked around in there again and a cant see any obvious shorts. I plugged it in and set it to booooooop and gently moved stuff around to see if it would go away or change at all and it did not. The jack is a type that has its own enclosure so I can't see the plug contacts but all the wires appear correct is there anything specific I need to look at, I am considering replacing it because it does not grip the cable plug tight enough.
                    Last edited by Jimbokahn; 04-24-2012, 09:13 PM.

Comment

I am not sure if it is only blacked out to me but I can't type all that out for a third time! I am going to start by replacing the jack - ill be back!

Comment

Hey guys, I haven't had a chance to pick up a new jack but here is a video link so you can hear the problem.
                        m.youtube.com/watch?v=X5ib6blfZ3Q

Comment

Sorry bout that

http://youtu.be/X5ib6blfZ3Q

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbokahn View Post
                            Yes, blue wire from pot to corner of circuit board, exactly like the link to pictures I attached to first post.The circuit board is NOT attached to the volume pot, it is alone, just like in the picures in the attachment. The only thing different is I have a five way switch instead of toggles. I plan to have a closer look at the connections but am considering just an on of toggle instead of volume, seems you can't rely on anyone to work on these guitars.
                            It looks like your vol pot is a push pull odd that the vol is not attached to the board.
                            May be the one you have has the wah circuit.Or the other active set up they had.
                            Last edited by straycat; 05-01-2012, 09:48 PM.
                            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

That's another point I never mentioned the push pull has never actually done anything. I assumed it should turn on/off the active pickups, but it is always powered up...

Comment

Working...
                              X