SH2N with a dead coil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SH2N with a dead coil?

So I've got this SD Jazz neck humbucker and one of the coils is not working. I don't know which coil it is and I don't know how to tell. Is it fixable? Can anyone here fix it?
    MakeAJazzNoiseHere: You kidding me? I'd suck her fartbox dry in a heartbeat. 9/29/2011 quote about Megan Fox

You should be able to tell which by tapping either coil w a screwdriver while its hooked up. As far as fixing it I have no idea

Comment

Check with a multi-meter to see it's resistance and compare to output values on the net?

Comment

If the pickup is covered you need to remove the cover.

Then either way you need to remove the tape around the coils to gain access to the coil leads.

Each coil has two lead wires. connect your multimeter to one pair and then to the other pair. You should get a reading a little less than 4K ohms from each coil if they are working. If one coil is "open" from a broken wire, it wil read infinite (or a very large) resistance. If one coil is "shorted" because two or more wraps of coil wire are touching, it will read much less than 4K ohms and possible 1 ohm if completely shorted.

Yes, you can repair it by removing the bad coil, having it rewound or a replacement found, then re-installing.

Check the Seymour Duncan forum for tips. Take a look at threads on making Hybrid pickups because this practice involves removing and replacing coils.

Comment

If you can find another one with one dead coil, combine the 2 good coils.
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
          X