Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Changing Pots, how to get control plate out on Gibson LP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing Pots, how to get control plate out on Gibson LP?

Hi, all. I'm changing the pot value on a Gibson LP Standard. I removed the knob, unscrewed the pot, and tried to push it through the control cavity. But all the pots are installed somehow onto the metal control plate inside. So, dumb question, how do you take the pots out?! Thanks in advance for the help and suggestions!
    "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
    Gotta get away from here.
    Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
    Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Maybe all together with the metal?

Comment

I have never done this, but i believe you have to loosen all 4 pots and remove the entire assembly at once, as JDR stated

good luck

Comment

Yep just take all the pot nuts off and pull it out as one unit.Leave it all together stick it in a baggie and put it in the case.If you sell it having that may clinch the deal people love to have he original set.
        The plate acts as a ground for all 4 pots. When you install the new pots be sure you run a buss wire that connects all 4 pots together. you run the bridge ground wire to the neck volume pot and the buss wire connecting all 3 and there you have your ground.
        You doing the 50's wiring mod? I love the 50's wiring you get so much more out of the pick ups.
        Clean clear tone and no muddiness.
        Last edited by straycat; 04-03-2012, 08:40 PM.
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

yeah, thanks guys. that's all correct and then the bridge ground wire further secures it in place. got it...

I'm actually putting EMG's in it. an 89R in the bridge and an 81 in the neck. Gets the single coil tones and the full out smash of EMG's in a LP.

Comment

OK then go by the EMG wiring diagram. I don't think you need a ground better double check tho'.
            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

you need a dc negative with emgs, but no bridge ground. you basically treat it as a ground but never connect the bridge to it. also, 18V is the way to go

Comment

I know how to wire them in, guys, I didn't know how Gibson secured the metal plate to remove the pots. If you've seen inside a modern era Les Paul you would know what I mean, I should have placed a picture. The ground wire from the bridge was locking down the plate, it is a thick wire and it was holding the plate preventing it from lifting out. Thanks, it's all good now.

Comment

Working...
                X