JT580

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JT580

Buying my first guitar with a Floyd (JT580) and need your opinions on this trem. Thanks! [img]graemlins/help.gif[/img]
    RR24M -SLATQH- 2 SLSMG's- DKMGT- 3DXMGT's
    CHS2 -Traditional- 2 SC90 Surfcasters
    Tacoma DR14 DM14 JR55
    Ibanez Artcore AM77, AF125NT,AS93

Re: JT580

I've got one on my DK2, and it's quite nice. Barely goes out of tune, and returns to the original pitch as it's supposed to do. Didn't do really weird stuff with it, but your tuning will survive a regular divebomb.

Comment

Have you done a string change yet? If so was it a pain in the a**.
      RR24M -SLATQH- 2 SLSMG's- DKMGT- 3DXMGT's
      CHS2 -Traditional- 2 SC90 Surfcasters
      Tacoma DR14 DM14 JR55
      Ibanez Artcore AM77, AF125NT,AS93

Comment

Was my first time changing strings on a floyd, so I can't really tell if it's been a pain in the ass or not... I thought it was rather easy, though [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

What's difference between 580 & 590?
          // Jonas
          Charvel Predator
          Yamaha SE-300 (my first guitar, just can't let it go)

Comment

'10'

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
            750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
            Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

There are actually 4 different versions of the JT580 trem from 1994 to present. The first couple versions were pretty decent. The new ones are cheaply made with a bar that won't stay put. I don't mind the old ones, hate the new ones.

The JT590 is the old Jackson Schaller trem, excellent Floyd!

Comment

My bar actually started misbehaving a few days ago, I thought I didn't "screw" it in properly... so that's a common problem with those trems?

Comment

is there any way of keeping them in? i tighten it loads and only rotate it anti-clock wise otherwise it goes lose.

Comment

Loose Collar Syndrome (LCS)

LCS is the primary reason so many guitars are missing the trem cavity cover!

To the hardware store!

Replace the nut (that secures the collar) with one with some sort of lock-washer attached...
                    ...OR...
                    Add a lock-washer between the collar-nut and the underside of the bridge-plate.

Don't forget to pickup a deep-well socket or driver - makes tightening a breeze.
                    750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
                    Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

Just wrap some tape around the damn thing. I can't understand why such a tiny-ass bit of wobbling is just soooo impossible to deal with. Even better, do what I do and don't bother with a bar at all. Just grab the ass-end of the trem and move it up and down.

Comment

Teflon plumber's (PTFE) tape will do the trick. Or just go to a hardware store and buy a little O-ring to put inside the screw collar.
                        Back in the '80s I also wrapped dental floss around the shaft to keep a loose bar tight. Though, just going into a guitar store and buying a new bar will probably be the easiest solution.

I have two different versions of the JT580LP and haven't had any problems with them. The Dinky Reverse I bought from Greg last year is a low-profile version like the new ones, except its baseplate is squared off like an OFR (it's speculated to be an early- mid '90s version). The other two on my Kelly XLR and another Dinky Reverse are also mid '90s but have a rounder baseplate and look like the newer JT580s. They all stay in tune just fine under heavy abuse.
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

The ones with the square baseplate are called JT580LP '94. That's the only year they were used before the switch to the newer style baseplate.

Comment

I had a 580 on a DK2 I had for awhile and never had a problem with it. The trem kept in tune almost as well as my Floyd's. I didn't have it long enough to change the strings on it so I don't know if it is any harder to change than OFR's.

Comment

I do not own any Jacksons with the JT580. Of the ones i've tried in the local music store, they seemed fine, but that was very little experimenting with them.

I have one guitar that has the JT500 trem and I have that same problem of the collar coming loose, which makes the bar loose. This is really annoying. Anybody have any suggestions on how to keep the collar tight?
                              [img]graemlins/idea2.gif[/img] I thought about using pipe tape around the threaded part that the collar screws onto. Any other suggestions as I do not think my idea is going to work. And yes I know installing an OFR would be the best solution, but that is about $100 - $180 fix. I'm thinking a little less cost. Also would the same remedy work on the JT580.
                              KV DM PRO, SLSXMG, RRXMG, DXMG, LP P90 Goldtop_GSP1101_RM4: JF SL-OD100_Randall RT2/50_Peavey 4x12 cab
                              I'm loving the Jaded Faith mods. Going Egnater Dual mod route: Voxless, SL-OD100, Brahma #39, QuickMod GT

Comment

Working...
                              X