Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Putting a Liscenced Floyd in an Ibanez. Question? Sully....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Putting a Liscenced Floyd in an Ibanez. Question? Sully....

A friend of mine has asked me to put a liscenced Floyd out of an old Squier Stagemaster into his Ibanez RG350DX the Edge 3 is shot and needs replaced. I've got the body ready to route, but before I cut. My question is will I run into any problems intonating it? I don't have the Edge 3 to compare it with as the owner took it apart trying to fix it.
    I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

I just got a Licensed Floyd Rose, and, it was garbage... maybe I just got the 'bad one' out of the bunch, but, I would NEVER get/use/buy another Licensed Floyd... Get another Edge 3 or whatever trems they put on Ibanez; they ROCK! I guess if he just needs something there to hold him over, sure, go with the Licensed, but, if it's anything like the one I had, it'll become a nusiance. Intonation might be an issue; mine wouldn't stay in tune, and it really affects the feel and playability of the guitar. But that is my experience. The Tremolo Arm wasn't bend right, so, it hung like, 5 inches over the body, and it was just stiff feeling.

Comment

Nobody has ever done this??? I know I'm not a pioneer.
      I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

Comment

Edge III route will only fit the Edge Pro and possibly the Edge Pro II or a Gotoh Licensed Floyd. Better idea is this. Chap stick the knife edges, and check for proper trem angle. As the Edge III has an angled base plate the proper angle can be seen here http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g2...eIII-setup.jpg
        The flat part with "Ibanez" stamped into it it parallel with the top of the body. Chap sticking the knife edges is described here http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/sharpening.htm
        I've never sharpened my knife edges, and my guitar is 6 years old. It's been through heavy whammy abuse and is strung up with 10-52 in standard. That's alot of pressure on the knife edges. Also, I adjust the action with the strings at tension. Some people, like dmometalguitar on youtube, insist this destroys knife edges. My Edge III stays in tune perfectly fine through dives and only goes out slightly with raising pitch. A slight dive or bend upon returning to pitch fixes this though. The way I look at it, cheap guitars like the RG4EX1 and the RG350DX don't deserve trem replacements when RG 550/560/570 can be had for under 400 bucks, and the guitars even with worn out knife edges can fetch 200

Comment

I admittedly don’t know much about the Ibanez stuff, but for some reason, I do not believe that the stud spacing is the same as an OFR’s spacing. As far as intonation concerns go, put the Edge III back on, measure out the existing saddle locations from the nut, set the licensed one in there and see if you can match it up.
          Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
          Sully Guitars on Facebook
          Sully Guitars on Google+
          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

the route is too small for an ofr. the treble side wont fit.gotohs and edge pros fit, but you spend more than the guits worth on the trem. all this has been covered on jemsite a few years ago. general consensus seems to be keep edge iii or get a diff guitar

Comment

Originally posted by sully View Post
              I admittedly don’t know much about the Ibanez stuff, but for some reason, I do not believe that the stud spacing is the same as an OFR’s spacing. As far as intonation concerns go, put the Edge III back on, measure out the existing saddle locations from the nut, set the licensed one in there and see if you can match it up.
              The stud spacing is the same. I had a Floyd in a JEM for a while.
              I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim View Post
                JEMs use edge, lo pro, or edge pro. no jem has ever had an edge iii. the routes are different. the ofr wont fit edge iii routes w.o routing

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim View Post
                  Nice! Thanks man.

Originally posted by neptoess View Post
                  the route is too small for an ofr. the treble side wont fit.gotohs and edge pros fit, but you spend more than the guits worth on the trem. all this has been covered on jemsite a few years ago. general consensus seems to be keep edge iii or get a diff guitar
                  If it's just bringing the treble side down/widening it slightly, that's super simple, and not something that should cost a bunch of dough. Good info, tho!

Sully
                  Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                  Sully Guitars on Facebook
                  Sully Guitars on Google+
                  Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

The stud spacing will be the same. The intonation should be fine. Sure it will have to be tweaked but will be fine. Routing may be a problem, it depends what your putting in. Theres so many different LFR's its hard to be sure without actually trying it.

I think actually, an OFR will drop right in.....I'm almost positive.

The Edge III is CRAP. Its crap because of the material its made out of, not because of its design.

Personally, I wouldn't be routing my guitar out to put a LFR on unless its a gotoh, schaller or an EDGE/EDGE PRO...
                    -Now....shut up n play yer guitar

Comment

The metal the Edge III is made of is admittedly pretty bad, as are the frets on the MII Ibanez. Frets 17-24 on mine are ground FLAT after 6 years of existence. For comparison, I have an Epiphone SG Special (yes the $150 one) that I've owned for 7 years, and the fret wear is minimal. Same with my Dean V that I bought used. Heavily played, minimal fret wear. I don't use stainless strings or anything either. I'm just all in all rather upset with Ibanez's lack of quality on this guitar

Comment

I wanted to upgrade but poor people have, poor ways. I've done my homework on everything but the intonation, I measured it with the new mocked up and it looked awful close.

Comment

Best of luck to you. I'd see what you're gonna pay for the trem and how much you can get out of the guitar. Stepping into a used 550 with an edge and selling your 350 might be cheaper than buying a trem

Comment

I had the tremolo out of another guitar, I have a lot of parts. Not a bunch of high priced stuff, but what I have has come from guitars I've bought, used for awhile and had issues with for some reason or another and canned the parts that were good. Not doing it for the money, the person I'm doing this for is a friend (my first guitar student) and I'm not charging him a thing. He is in remission for hodgkin's lymphoma, doesn't have a bunch of money and wants his first, new bought,not used, guitar working again as he's getting back to playing. I put a Kahler on one of his other guitars. Thanks for all the info guys. Oh and BTW Sully, more videos coming soon????

Comment

Originally posted by tomanyjacksons View Post
                              I had the tremolo out of another guitar, I have a lot of parts. Not a bunch of high priced stuff, but what I have has come from guitars I've bought, used for awhile and had issues with for some reason or another and canned the parts that were good. Not doing it for the money, the person I'm doing this for is a friend (my first guitar student) and I'm not charging him a thing. He is in remission for hodgkin's lymphoma, doesn't have a bunch of money and wants his first, new bought,not used, guitar working again as he's getting back to playing. I put a Kahler on one of his other guitars. Thanks for all the info guys. Oh and BTW Sully, more videos coming soon????
                              Good shit man. Nothin' like helpin friends out. You get valuable experience, and make your friends happy.

Comment

Working...
                              X