J50BC Pickup Install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J50BC Pickup Install

Hi everyone! I know, another 'J50bc' pickup thread. I've honestly been searching and researching for the last 2 weeks on an accurate wiring diagram, and have turn up a few leads, but nothing that leads me in a solid direction. I found a few threads on here, and there was some talk of the black being hot, and the green/bare being grounds... but, it wasn't definite; atleast it didn't seem clear to me. I'm also about to receive a JE-1000 booster as well, so, I won't be installing it until I get that.

My main question(s) is/are this: Which is hot? Black or Green (as I've also seem a wiring diagram stating that Jackson pickups made the green to be hot)? AND, due to my rr24 having an EMG 81 already in it... the volume pot has stuff soldered all over it! Would it behoove me to just get another volume pot for a clean install/solder job? I haven't dabbled in electronics in YEARS, so, that would lead to just one more question: If I get a new volume pot, what is more beneficial or suitable; a 250k or 500k pot? Maybe some of the gurus on here and educate me. Please don't stone me in the case the I have missed a thread that covers this... it just seems that due the these electronics being so old, a lot of the threads have links that don't work, or the pictures aren't. Thanks in advanced! I will continue to research in case I've missed a thread somewhere!

Black = hot, green & bare wire together = ground, red and white together taped off unless you're splitting coils.

Comment

You are going to want to get another volume pot as EMG pickups use 25K pots and passive humbuckers use 500K pots (sometimes they will use a 250K pot for the tone control though, but that shouldn't matter since you're getting the JE-1000.)
      My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Comment

Sweet! Thanks a lot guys, I truly appreciate the help. I totaly forgot the je1000 has a pot.

Comment

check this out:
          http://audiozone.dk/guitargallery/?c...8Page12_13.jpg

and this:
          http://audiozone.dk/guitargallery/?c...8Page16_17.jpg

Cheers

Comment

How did I miss this!!!!!! THANKS!

Comment

NO NO NO NO NO!!!!

It depends on what year the pickup is from!

I am sure the OLD (wide) Jackson pickups show green as hot

The LATE (narrow) ones show black as hot.

However, what matters more is how it is wired into the guitar, i.e. both the same. I have seen old Jacksons wired both back to front and the right way.

Please someone else confirm or refute this for me! I have seemingly been the only one to talk about this in the last couple of years.

Comment

So I finally got my JE-1000 in the mail, and I'm stumped again; there are two wires (black and white/red) that are labeled to go to the output jack... problem is, the output jack is WAAY far away, so, I figured I'd just use the leads from the jack and put them on the wires going to the JE-1000... think this would work? I'm tempted to take it somewhere to get it installed lol!

Comment

Pics of the JE-1000 and cavity of rr24. Would I be able to use the leads from the output jack for the two wires required to go to the output jack? The wires are the intertwined black/white wires.

Comment

Hey guys! I really REALLY need some help! The nearest, quality guitar shop is about an hour away, so I'm trying to do this myself... so, I finally installed everything, but, I get no output; with a couple of wiring combinations/changes, I got to a point where I would get crap output if the jack was pulled halfway out of the input jack. I fiddled around with the wires again, put the shielding and grounding wire on the vol knob (that wasn't really connected to the pot; just a ring that went around the knob portion), and I took the two wires from the input jack, and connected them to the 'corresponding' wires on the JE-1000 board. The pickup wires of the J-50bc are what was mentioned above, but, even after switching the green and black for hot/ground, I still get nothing. The wires coming out of my rr24 from the input jack are black and white with shielding; the wires dedicated to the input jack are black, and white w/red spots on it. I put the black with black, white with white. There is a green wire and a black wire on the JE-1000, and I put the green with the green from the pup, and the black likewise, and then the red and white together. Still, I get no output. 3 hours later and I have a dead guitar! I really don't to take it anywhere... but, would you guys advise me to do so now? I really have NO clue what the issue is, as the diagram is easy to follow, sorta, and it's gotten me no where.

Comment

I just realized what info your comment provided. I have the Wide pickup, and did corresponding wires, but, no output, then I put the green from the pup to the black on the JE-1000, and the black from pup to the green on the JE-1000, and, still nothing :/

Comment

The only time I've seen the green used as hot is when used in a hss config. Since the singles were not reverse wound or polarity, the bridge pup would be reversed to keep it in phase.

Originally posted by bratfink View Post
                        NO NO NO NO NO!!!!

It depends on what year the pickup is from!

I am sure the OLD (wide) Jackson pickups show green as hot

The LATE (narrow) ones show black as hot.

However, what matters more is how it is wired into the guitar, i.e. both the same. I have seen old Jacksons wired both back to front and the right way.

Please someone else confirm or refute this for me! I have seemingly been the only one to talk about this in the last couple of years.

Comment

Well, it turns out that I connected everything correctly, but the board is faulty... sigh! I'm hoping the guy will send me another one without charging me; afterall, it isn't my fault atleast

Comment

Ok, so I contacted the seller, and he noticed that the Negative lead from the battery wasn't on the lug of the volume knob... VIOLA! This pickup and pre-amp is certified BADASS! Sounds just like the new Alexi EMG... EXACTLY like it... but looks cooler!

Comment

Did you swap out the jack for a stereo jack? That acts as the switch for the system.

Comment

Working...
                              X