Strings !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strings !

So, I just broke high e on my guitar (dr ddt 10-46) and decided to try something new. What kind of strings do you play and why ? Also, recommend me some, please ! Btw, I tune down to D. Thanks !

Are you playing a Floyded guitar? I like to use 10's for E/Eb tuning, Ernie Ball regulars specifically, so for D I'd probably bump it to 11's.

Comment

No, it's a hardtail

Comment

Alright, only reason I asked is because re-balancing a floating bridge is always a pain in the ass when you change string gauges.

Personally, I've tested different coated string types (Ernie Ball Titaniums, Elixirs, etc) but I always go back to normal Ernie Ball strings. I'd say just check different things out and see what feels/sounds best to you.

Comment

I personaly always loved the sound of DR's. They are so bright, but I just feel that I need a diff. string gauge. More meat for that low D, tried 11-50 before, but bending and feel was horrible, but I might try them again, or 10-52. Anyone uses Sit or Rotosound strings ?

Comment

I use GHS 10-46 on my fixed bridge fiddles.
            Crisp highs, but can still has a lot of warmth on the lower end.
            -Rick

Comment

For D standard: Ernie Ball Cobalt Skinny Top Heavy Bottom (10-52)
              For Drop D: Ernie Ball Cobalt Hybrid Slinky (9-46)

Whatever gauge you get, you have to try the new Cobalt's.

Comment

Never tried EB's before. What's so specieal about cobalts ? I think it's only just hype.

Comment

Originally posted by Iivari View Post
                  Never tried EB's before. What's so specieal about cobalts ? I think it's only just hype.
                  Acoustically the strings give a much fuller sound, they feel worn in, and when you plug in, they add more clarity to your playing. A perfect set of strings: comfortable, clear, and full.

Comment

I'm currently weddded to DR Tite fits in 10 gauge, but I am amenable to experimenting with other mistresses from time to time.
                    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

I tried out a wide variety of DRs for a few months and eventually came to the conclusion that they suck ass. They break way too easily and they sound so lifeless, you really have to dig into them to get any fucking tone out of them. Might as well string up with spaghetti. I've gone back to good old D'Addario XLs (nickel wound), so i say grab a set of 11-52. I use those in Eb for one of my bands and they sound great.
                      It's all about the blues-rock chatter.

Originally posted by RD
                      ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

Ive used hybrid slinkys for forever. I tune d standard.

Comment

I tried the DR High Beams 11-50 and thought they were great. They lasted a really long time, sounded great, and did not break. Though, I haven't broken a string in years, no matter what brand.

I started out on 10-46 GHS Boomers in the '80s and still primarily use them, as well as Carvin strings (Boomers in Carvin packaging) . Certain guitars I'll even use the Boomers David Gilmour 10.5 - 50 red set (once in awhile the 10 - 48 blue set). And on another guitar I use EB Power Slinky 11-48.
                          My Carvin 7-string has had the Elixir 10-56 set on it since I got it a year ago (they're real nice and last a very long time), but I may put on a set of EB Slinky 10-56 set I've got laying around when I decide to change strings soon.
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I run the Elixir Nanoweb 10-46, they last damn near forever. I don't go down to D, occasionally drop D, but normally E/Eb no hardtails, strictly Floyds.
                            My Charvel/Jackson Family

Comment

Thanks for replys so far, keep 'em comming ! I think I might give a shot to a set of Dunlop nickels. I liked Dunlop strings on my acoustic, I play it twice a month, but whatever

Comment

Working...
                              X