Question on pots and wiring for 91 soloist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on pots and wiring for 91 soloist

I need to get a 500K volume pot and 2 250K tone pots for a 91 soloist. I've never had to buy these before, but now I am out of leftover parts from old guitars.

I went to Allparts, and found that there are many different sizes and varieties, and that the tone pots don't come with caps installed.

Does anyone know exactly which pots would fit in a 91 USA soloist? Not sure if I need long shaft, and what diameter, etc. Allparts doesn't have much info to differentiate between the tons that they offer. Also, what cap is standard in a Jackson for tones, and is there anything else I need to know when ordering and installing caps. I don't know if anyone sells a set of volume & two tones with caps installed, but that was what I was looking for.

If anyone can explain what I need to know to order the right ones, that would be great.

If anyone has a link to the correct items at a good website, that would be even better.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Just use regular short shaft CTS pots.
    As for caps, I'm not sure what the standard is for USA Jacksons, but there are a lot of options to choose there that will have an impact on the tone you'll get.
    There's not really one standard that will be best for all guitars or for all guitarists. Experiment with different values and see what sounds best to your ears.

A good way to go would be to get a variety of the caps and hook them up one at a time with alligator clips to do a sound check, then test the next one.
    Once you find the ones you like best, solder them in and rock on!
    My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Comment

Thanks, wasn't sure if it was short or long shaft. Anyone know whether the split shaft or solid shaft fits in the holes originally drilled for the JE1200 setup?

I was hoping to find out the standard cap in Jacksons as a starting point. I never use tone knobs, always leave them wide open, and this guitar won't have one hooked up to the bridge (strat style wiring) so I don't think I'll be experimenting much with different caps. Just want to match what my others have if anyone knows.

Comment

I just took apart a different soloist. The cap is a .022 if anyone is interested.

A CTS pot doesn't fit through the holes in the 91 soloist. The threads are too fat. They seem to be 3/8"+, but the hole is 3/8"-. It's close, but it doesn't go through.

Has anyone replaced one of the older ones that had a JE1200 originally with new pots? The pots that came with that setup are not the same size as CTS pots, just a bit thinner width. Wondering what would fit. It is a graphic guitar, so I am not going to risk drilling the holes out...

Comment

Get a wood reamer at ACE hardware and go from the back and taper the hole to the right size.Just be careful reaming the hole out and you should have no problem.
          The reamer is tapered btw so your graphic should be fine.
          I would get 3 CTS short split shaft 500k pots and an 0.22 cap.Using 500k on all pick ups will open up the singles and give a very nice open woody sound.
          I have wired hundreds of guitars and I use only these two suppliers listed below.RSguitarworks because its right down the road and I can pick out which values I want be it pots or caps.MSSC because they ship fast and offer different options if I ask for it.
          RSguitarworks,Martin Six String Customs have the best pot kits going.Top quality all the way.
          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Thanks for the info Stray.

I hadn't heard of a reamer, sounds safer than a drill bit.

Comment

Is this a USA or MIJ Soloist? AFAIK, USAs have CTS pots (bigger diameter threads and main body) and imports have Alphas (smaller threads and body).
              Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Originally posted by warlok View Post
                Is this a USA or MIJ Soloist? AFAIK, USAs have CTS pots (bigger diameter threads and main body) and imports have Alphas (smaller threads and body).
                +1

Plus the older USA had a smaller diameter shaft, I have a 90 RR that had alphas in it. The CTS pots are way too big, I have never owned owned a new Jackson USA but I have never seen an old USA (80's) with CTS.

Comment

It's a 1991 USA, but it does not have CTS pots. I believe they would be the same as your 90 Rhoads (did that have the JE1200?) I have a 90 Rhoads, and they look like the same pots.

Are the Alpha pots smaller than the CTS ones? They list as a 3/8" size thread the same as CTS on StewMac. I was thinking of going with a different brand like Alpha, but I couldn't find anything with a smaller diameter thread.

I would much rather go that route than ream out the holes...

Comment

The alpha ones in the guitars I believe are metric ones. I have never bought a new alpha pot but I bet they are 9mm instead of 3/8" (9.525mm). For the few $ they cost it might be worth buying 1 of eash type to see which ones fit.

Comment

Ah, never thought of metric...

I like your idea. I think I'll get a set of each. Not like it's a bad thing to have an extra pot or 3 lying around.

Comment

The Alphas I use for the smaller holes are 8mm shaft. Last time I bought there was nothing I found about Alpha "full size" pots with 3/8 shafts. Now apparently they're readily available. Here are the different size Alpha (Import) for sizes. 3/8" and 8mm.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electron...trol_Pots.html

Just for info, the one main difference I've noticed is the CTS have a tighter feel. The alphas move very easily where the CTS have some resistance while turning.
                        Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Thanks again for the info. I ordered a set of CTS and a set of the Alphas. I must have misread the thread size on the Alphas, it is 8mm, not 3/8".
                          Last edited by Ward; 03-22-2012, 08:18 PM.

Comment

The ones that had the mid boost system more often had the smaller pots.
                            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

The JE-1200 HAVE to have the small pots, the large pots poles are too far apart to solder to the pcb.

That would answer that then, The alphas 25-500K pots are 8mm and the long shaft and 1 meg are 3/8"

Comment

Working...
                              X