Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

short Floyd block (32mm) characteristics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• short Floyd block (32mm) characteristics?

Anyone have experience playing an ax equipped w/ OFR & the 32 mm block? Had a luthier state that because of the block's size, the play of the trem was funky in that the bar required more pressure to get the bar moving down and once it had gone past a certain point, it then just lost tension and bottomed out to the point where the bar would just hit the body's surface. Can anyone corroborate this?

Nope, not at all, sounds pretty ridiculous to me.
    "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

Comment

Sounds like total BS to me. The 32mm block is used for recessed Floyds because they sit that much lower in the body, so the block has to be shorter than a flush mounted Floyd. If you used a 37mm or a 42mm, it could bottom out against the trem cavity cover with a recessed Floyd.

No idea what he's talking about.

Comment

Yeah, it's a load of crap. The only way it takes more pressure to push the bar down is when you use more springs. I actually prefer 4 or 5 springs in my Floyds, as I like the stiffer feel.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Sounds like BS to me too. The only thing I can think of is because of the shorter block, the radius of the arc when using the trem is shorter than a longer one, i.e. radius measured from the pivot point at the mounting insert down to the end of the block where the trem springs mount. So, if everything else was the same, when you depress (or pull up) the bar a specified amount, the shorter block will have less travel than a long block. So the longer block will have the springs stretched a bit more. I don’t see how you translate this to pressure. If anything, I would think a stiffer spring would be the biggest factor in how a trem performs.
          "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Hope you're right. I understand that the 32 mm is for recessed floyds (got a few of those ) but does that also apply to a thin bodied guitars? Wondering if that would have any bearing on the play of an OFR in a shallow-depth body.

Comment

I've not seen a guitar that's had what the luthier is saying be a problem with the block... it might be an issue with the springs. how many springs are you using for what tuning and what gauge of strings? also, are they stock springs and how much FR wanking do you do?

I think that springs are springs, but some guys out there swear by some of the aftermarket springs... as well as a lot of FR wanking can wear springs out, causing the pressure to get funky when diving. I have to say that is what I've read and have really not experienced that.

but as far as the size of the block... it really depends on the thickness of the guitar. 32mm were/are fairly common because they'll go in most anything and not stick out the back... so I've kept busy replacing a lot of 32mm blocks with blocks that better maximize the space. I have severall recessed with 37mm and even 1 with 42mm (a Strat). it depends on what the guitar needs. if it can take more, put more in there. the worst that'll happen is that it'll have more mass and more tone. when you get into the thick blocks is when you risk limiting the FR's range, but that'd only be because of the size of the cavity the block has to work within.

Comment

I too call BS. I have a PRS Torero with a 32mm block, never had any issues. I don't even know how what you're describing could occur.

Comment

Been ages since I've been to school (not that I paid any attention there)
                  but using the basic understanding of a lever, a shorter block (with everything else being equal) would actually need less force than a longer one
                  since the fulcrum point is closer to the load (though you'll need more movement from the force side to get the same amount of travel on the load)

and using basic understanding of springs
                  Floyd springs are linear, so the force needed to stretch them would stay constant, if they were progressive it would actually be easier at first movement, but get stiffer past a certain point

TLDR:
                  That luthier should just stick to setting up hardtails and leave the complicated stuff to someone else
                  Last edited by Nightbat; 03-22-2012, 04:47 PM.
                  "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

The physics behind this are actually about irrelevant because of the insanely minute amount of pressure caused by the block. Strings/springs have over 100 lbs total. The block's weight is counteracted by the treble-side floyd stud's force normal (upward reaction force). As has been said, different height blocks are for different routing depths/body thicknesses. Using the thickest and tallest block you can fit will give you the best tone, but most people just leave the one that came stock on their guitar, because there's 100% chance that it works. Also, don't go to this "luthier" anymore. Sounds like he's speaking out of his ass.

Comment

Working...
                    X