Help setting up my RR5.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help setting up my RR5.

So I decided to set up my RR5 by changing from xl 9's to 10-52 strings, however I have a few questions. When I took off my old strings, the bridge fell off and I'm not sure which way it goes back on.(one side has screws and the other has nuts, both for adjusting the saddles). I've looked at photos of RR5 bridges online, but none of them show the detail I'm looking for.
    I'm going to use standard E tuning for now and see how I like that.
    Once I figure out which way the bridge goes on i assume that all I need to do is restring it, tune it and check the intonation. Is there anything that I've overlooked? Will I need to make any truss rod adjustments? Will I have to modify the nut for the larger strings?
    Last edited by kermitz; 03-11-2012, 09:34 PM.

The side with the screws face toward the bridge pickup. Maybe a slight truss rod adjustment, but I've never had to make one just by switching to 10's from 9's. No, the nut should be fine.
    MakeAJazzNoiseHere: You kidding me? I'd suck her fartbox dry in a heartbeat. 9/29/2011 quote about Megan Fox

Comment

You can't really judge which way the bridge was oriented without looking at it. Look at the saddles where the string passes over the bridge, they should be filed wider on the bass side for heavier strings. And technically you should tighten your truss rod slightly, but since yours is probably not adjusted terribly accurately anyways as long as it plays OK you'll be fine.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. The saddles look identical to me. If I put the bridge on with the screws facing the bridge pickup and need to make intonation adjustments, I can tighten/loosen the nut side?

Comment

http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/intonation.htm
          Tune-o-matics are dreams for intonation. As for not having to change ANYTHING, I would check the action (because you can definitely go lower than you were at with 9s), and the truss rod. 10-52 exerts a hell of a lot more pressure than 9-42 assuming you're using the same tuning. Also, the intonation will indefinitely need changed. Assuming the guitar was set up properly for 9-42, all the saddles will need moved back (farther away from the nut). Use the ibanezrules method. Rich is a genius

edit; yes, screws face towards the nut, it's easy to get a screwdriver in to adjust intonation

Comment

Working...
          X