Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone else play dropped C in "standard" tuning?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone else play dropped C in "standard" tuning?

I decided tonight to learn Power of the Night by Savatage, which is tuned down a step, then dropped to a C. Not wanting to retune my entire guitar, I just figured I could drop the low E 2 full steps and have it go to C.

I was able to learn the riffs, seemed pretty cool. It was weird the way to do power chords rather than 022xxx or 222xxx (standard or dropped d) to play 422xxx. Fun little pinky exercise doing that.

Anyone else do this? It feels cool to have learned it the "wrong" way, but it still works

I believe I remember reading an interview once with Zakk Wylde talking about how he likes to do stuff like that.
    "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

Comment

If you think that is weird, listen to some songs off The Great Southern Trendkill. Dime tuned to Drop G (GGCFAD).

Comment

My seven string is tuned to G# F A# D# F A# D# right now.
        I like EL34s.

Comment

It's not how low you are tuned that's odd, it's the relationship between the strings. I am all for "thinking outside the box" when it comes to tunings, just remember, if you plan on playing live you are going to need guitars for all these tunings. In the meantime by all means, have fun and there is no such thing as useless guitar knowledge.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard W View Post
            If you think that is weird, listen to some songs off The Great Southern Trendkill. Dime tuned to Drop G (GGCFAD).
            This is AADGBE just a step down. Not an uncommon tuning.
            I like EL34s.

Comment

Originally posted by thebigz View Post
              I decided tonight to learn Power of the Night by Savatage
              I can't count how many years it's been since I heard that song..

Comment

Raise the fist of the metal child!

Comment

Originally posted by GeneticWeapon View Post
                  I can't count how many years it's been since I heard that song.
                  For shame! Awesome songand album/CD. I prefer the older Savatage Stuff. Sirens, Dungeons, HOTMK, etc.

Comment

Working...
                  X