Vintage blues set - backwards??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage blues set - backwards??

I've always "known" (in my head, not as fact. lol) that duncan pickups are oriented as:

Bridge pup - screws towards bridge, slugs toward neck
    Neck pup - screws towards neck, slugs toward bridge

All the ones I've had with logos have been that way. And all the oems I seem to remember that way too. Now this Vintage Blues set I have ('59 bridge/'59 neck), with the cable going out the bottom towards the knobs like normal, the screws on the neck pup are towards the bridge. These are no logo so... is that right??
    Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Sounds messed up.

No need to do it like everyone else. Put the pickups in whichever way you like. What about those with dual hex heads, or dual slugs, or rails?

Comment

+1
      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

+2. If it sounds good, leave it. Some people claim having the adjustable poles towards the bridge will make it sound brighter and towards the neck warmer.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

-1 If you just put the pickups in "any way you like" you are going to get phasing issues.

Comment

Ace back from the dead? LOL!

I'm not so sure. I do know phasing issues can happen if you:

1. Wire it out of phase.

2. Flip the magnet in one of the pickups ala Peter Green.

Comment

Yes, I was recently exhumed. Swapping the orientation of the pickups to each other will put them in/out of phase with each other, so when you use the middle position on your pickup selector and use both pickups they will possibly sound weaker. The pickups will sound fine when you use them individually. You can also wire the individual pickups out of phase with themselves, Peter Green style.

Comment

Working...
              X