Duncan Invaders?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duncan Invaders?

I'm going to get rid of the emg hz's that came stock in my dxmg, and I'm looking for some good passive pickups for thrash/death metal. I've done a lot of reading, and it sounds like duncan invaders might be a good choice for me. Do you guys think they will sound good in a basswood guitar? I played a synyster gates sig model at gc that had these pickups in it, and I was really impressed. Still though, I am a relative newbie and I impress easily :/ Do any of you guys have these pickups? would you recommend them? I'm not afraid to admit also that I'm completely blown away by the way they look. I saw someone comment somewhere that they look like lego's...and I totally agree.

If you like lots of bass, get them. 2 of my 3 Warriors have them. The third guitar won't take an Invader without having its pickup route butchered. Methinks SD should make an Invader.Jr
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

I had an Invader a long time ago, and recently got one and put it in my DK2 replacing the HB102B (a JB variant). It's a fun pickup. The DK2 is alder, so I'm not sure how basswood would compare.

Comment

Love invaders. My favorite goto duncan pup for passives. Real meat!And hell you can find em used for 45,50 bucks so it's really a no brainer.

Comment

Cool, I'm going to pick some up after work today and attempt to put them in. This will be my first pickup swap, but I can solder pretty good so I hopefully it goes well. Thank you for your input.

Comment

I got the pickups and put them in, I absolutely love them. Plucking away at a palm muted open E makes a growling sound come out of my amp.. it's fantastic. Thanks for answering my questions!

Comment

Any issues with Muddy or muffled tone?

Another member has been having non-stop issues with his DXMG. I like mine with the stock Hz's, but the Invader in my DK2 is FUN. Too bad I have nut issues with that guitar (need to plug and re-drill the nut mounting holes).

Comment

I want a DXMG myself. Sick of every listing sayin "pickup only" and no mention of a case
                Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

I'm glad it worked out for you. I've got a DD Detonator in my basswood KVX10 that I hate. Soooo muddy, and not much clarity at all. Before anybody says, "Duh, Duncan Designed...." It came out of my RR3 that got swapped with an Invader, and there was NO difference in tone whatsoever. I'm close to ruling bad wood on that one, though I may throw in a JB I have handy just to see.
                  "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                    Any issues with Muddy or muffled tone?

Another member has been having non-stop issues with his DXMG. I like mine with the stock Hz's, but the Invader in my DK2 is FUN. Too bad I have nut issues with that guitar (need to plug and re-drill the nut mounting holes).
                    My DXMG has zero sound/playing issues, other than some fret buzz when I change out the strings. I have the action so low on it though I'm surprised it plays at all. I would think plugging the mounting holes on your axe would be pretty simple wouldn't it?.. you should make it your weekend project

The Invader pickups weren't quite what I was expecting, and I can see how some of the tone freaks out there don't like them. They sound deep and punchy to me, and adjusting the height of them affects their sound quite a bit. They are a great pickup for playing super heavy metal, and trying to do anything else with them will leave some people disapointed.

Originally posted by Axegrinder87 View Post
                    I may throw in a JB I have handy just to see.
                    Yeah if you've got that pickup lying around it would be worth installing. I'd be extremely interested in hearing whether or not the wood type of your guitar was causing your woes.

Comment

I'll def be doing it soon. I can say however, that I LOVE the Invader in my RR3. If I wasn't perfectly satisfied with the JB/Jazz in my RR5FR, I'd consider an Invader in that one too.
                      "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

Comment

Originally posted by Corpsegrinder88 View Post
                        Love invaders. My favorite goto duncan pup for passives. Real meat!And hell you can find em used for 45,50 bucks so it's really a no brainer.

Wow, maybe I had a bad pup or something... I tried some out in a RR, and WAY preferes the SH6's ... Just my 2 centavos
                        Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

I'm glad they work out for some people...or am I? Am I really glad.. ? No..
                          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I put a pair of Invaders in an old Jackson Kelly XLR, and they sounded great!
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I just put an invader in my 'deco'. I didn't actually notice much difference from the no name $10 pickup I found at a garage sale that was in it before.

Well that's not strictly true, The Invaders do sound much better at the high register. But low end rhythm is no different.

Comment

Working...
                              X