USA San Dimas d standard setup questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USA San Dimas d standard setup questions

Hey guys I have a trans kandy gold charvel and I'm having a hard time getting the neck relief vs Floyd height correct. I'm getting buzz on the open d string heavy d and also around the 14th fret. It seems like I have to raise the bridge and put alot of relief in the neck to stop the buzzing around the 14th fret. I figured i could get low action on this guitar but it doesn't look like its going to happen. I use 11-49 strings and the only other mod would be I have the Floyd blocked from being able to bend sharp. It has Ben suggested that I should tighten the bolts all the way in once I'm in tune to get a perfect fit for he Neck. Does anyone have their guitars set up like mine and if so what's your bridge height on bOth sides and how much relief did you put in th neck?

I usually set up guitars with about 3/64" of string height(action) at the 12th fret on both the bass and treble sides. My neck relief is usually between 0.003-0.007" Of course I adjust to the guitar/player as well.

Comment

Don't set action by height. Do it by feel. As for truss rod, you shouldn't need more than a credit card thickness relief at the 7th fret when fretting the 1st and last fret at the same time. Relief isn't usually the issue with fret buzz at higher frets like 14. That's just action being set too low. You'll never really get zero-buzz unless you play uncomfortably high action or with a very gentle touch. As long as you aren't fretting out and it isn't affecting your amplified sound too much, you should be able to get used to it. 11-49 is also going to be pretty floppy on the wound strings. http://www.bangzero.org/stringtension/. Calculate out the string tension you know you like, then calculate the gauges you'd need to keep that tension tuned down a step

Comment

I use 11-50s in D standard fine. Not floppy.
        I like EL34s.

Comment

I guess that would be close to the "standard" set for D, but the tension will only be about as good as a set of 9s in E standard. To each their own

Comment

Working...
          X