Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ernie Ball Cobalt Strings: Anyone try these yet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ernie Ball Cobalt Strings: Anyone try these yet?

I admit it, I'm a consumer whore. I saw these in an ad and I'm curious about how they feel/sound. Anyone give them a shot yet?

I plan on trying some soon but to be honest these days I'm usually looking for less output instead of more output hehe.
    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Probably a huge gimmick, but I'm interested to try if they aren't coated. EBs usually don't thrill me though.
      I like EL34s.

Comment

Good friend, client, A dbl neck Cali, I strung up the six string neck up with a set last night, the 12 string neck with a regular set of EB's,
        No real tonal difference between the sets of strings, or no difference from the previous set of strings that were on.
        A string is just disrupting a magnetic field... The alloy cocktail of the string is just determining how much disruption takes place.
        >^v^<

Comment

We used them on the news Slash album, he really loves them. I like them too, they seem to sound and feel great. And no, I'm not saying this as part of our endorsement.

Comment

Hi Ace! LTNS
            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I put a set on a mim strat at work and they sounded really good. Seemed to make the strat come to life. I bought a set to put Pb my feankenstien to try out extensively which I plan to do tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKSONFREAK View Post
                I put a set on a mim strat at work and they sounded really good. Seemed to make the strat come to life. I bought a set to put Pb my feankenstien to try out extensively which I plan to do tomorrow.
                Not a lot of guys know the peanut butter trick.

Comment

GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

I've tried a couple sets...on a Floyd they were a pain to properly intonate.. They feel different but I don't care for the tone..a dark mid sound to my ears.. I'll stay with my Boomers....

Comment

Yeah, I grabbed some 9-46 sets to test out (both to see how I like hybrid sets, since I've never tried them before, and because Best Buy had a "Buy 3, Get 1 Free" deal). They're alright, haven't really put them through the paces yet.

Comment

I like the feel of them and they seem to have a bit more bite in the tone department.

Comment

I put a set of coated DR's on my DK2M w/ JB, don't like. They seem like they've got a blanket on them. I'm done with coated strings
                          Jackson Adrian Smith SDX
                          LTD EC401VF
                          Gibby Les Paul
                          Ibanez RG220D O Natural
                          Fender Parts Caster
                          Oranger Tiny Terror Head
                          2) Orange PPC 1X12 Celestion Vintage 30
                          TU2 Tuner
                          Dunlop Cantrell Wah
                          Fulltone 70's Fuzz
                          Fulltone Distortion Pro1
                          Fulltone Mosfet 2
                          Fulltone OCD OD
                          Fulltone Deja Vibe

Comment

I was impressed with them, but after about 2 weeks, strings broke on EVERY guitar I put them on. They feel and sound nice, but I'd personally just stick with regular EB's. Try the cobalts out though.

Comment

Richard W, are you talking about the DR coated? If so, in the past I used to break them on Floyded guitars all the time. Put on a set of EB or D'addario, no problem.
                              Jackson Adrian Smith SDX
                              LTD EC401VF
                              Gibby Les Paul
                              Ibanez RG220D O Natural
                              Fender Parts Caster
                              Oranger Tiny Terror Head
                              2) Orange PPC 1X12 Celestion Vintage 30
                              TU2 Tuner
                              Dunlop Cantrell Wah
                              Fulltone 70's Fuzz
                              Fulltone Distortion Pro1
                              Fulltone Mosfet 2