no sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• no sound

I have an Ibanez RG serie guitar and a Fender 90 Deluxe amplifier. When I tap the sound does not come out at all. What else do I need to add to the amplifier?

A cable between the guitar and amp.

Turn the knobs on both the guitar and amp.

Plug the amp into the wall socket.

Turn the switch marked "Power" on the amp to the "On" position.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

^^ Lol. That's a oh not so nice response. OP I want to assume that you already tried what was mentioned above?

Some jacks are a bit iffy. Play with the cable, pull it out just a little bit and see if sounds comes out. If that's the case then you might have a faulty ground. Not a big deal really. My Squier was like that and I took out the two screws that hold the jack in place, and bent the ground tab so it makes better contact with the jack when you insert it. Hard to explain with words but if you take it apart you'll know what I'm talking about.

Comment

Yeah, it's a bit harsh, but then what do we have to go on here?

Originally posted by guitarissts View Post
        I have an Ibanez RG serie guitar and a Fender 90 Deluxe amplifier. When I tap the sound does not come out at all. What else do I need to add to the amplifier?
        "Tap"? You mean two-handed tapping like EVH? Maybe you're missing the string and hitting the fretboard?
        Or do you mean coil-split with a toggle switch? If that's the case, the switch could be bad or there's a loose wire to the switch.

If you mean tapping the pickups physically (i.e. tapping the bobbins themselves with a screwdriver, for example), and there's no sound coming out the amp, do you get sound when you hit the strings? It's highly unlikely you'd get string sound but no direct-hit sound, but still....

As for what you'd need to add to the amp, you first have to figure out if the amp is the problem.

However, if by tap you mean step on the amp's footswitch to change from one channel to another, check the other channel's volume control if it has a separate control. Otherwise, the footswitch might be bad. Or it might be the cable that goes from the footswitch to the amp's Footswitch jack.

By contrast, if by "tap" you mean to say "flip the pickup selector switch", and this particular guitar uses a stereo jack as often found on EMG-equipped guitars (and those that used to have EMGs at one time) it could be that the cable is not inserted into the guitar's output jack all the way.

So there's lots of other info missing. Since that info is missing, I'd assume my original response contained a correct answer.
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
          Yeah, it's a bit harsh, but then what do we have to go on here?

So there's lots of other info missing. Since that info is missing, I'd assume my original response contained a correct answer.
          +1 My money's on a language barrier. Likely, the OP is NOT a complete twit and is just struggling to accurately convey in a non- native language, something more daunting than plugging in an amp. I hope...

Comment

?
            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Try pulling off the control cavity cover and checking for loose wires.
              In memory of Gary Wright 9/13/2012

Comment

Also, worth a mention, try posting in the appropriate place, as this is not "General Jackson/Charvel Talk".
                "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

Comment

+1 tech Q&A please.
                  Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by 1neeto View Post
                    ^^ Lol. That's a oh not so nice response. OP I want to assume that you already tried what was mentioned above?

Some jacks are a bit iffy. Play with the cable, pull it out just a little bit and see if sounds comes out. If that's the case then you might have a faulty ground. Not a big deal really. My Squier was like that and I took out the two screws that hold the jack in place, and bent the ground tab so it makes better contact with the jack when you insert it. Hard to explain with words but if you take it apart you'll know what I'm talking about.
                    Thanks Ineeto.....it had to do something with the grounding......sorry about not posting in the techie area....

Comment

Working...
                    X