Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Charvels with no truss rod, how to adjust neck relief?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvels with no truss rod, how to adjust neck relief?

So how does one adjust relief on the neck of a Charvel with solid maple neck if there is no truss rod? Perhaps a dumb question, sorry.
    750XL Cherry Sunburst
    375DX Metallic black
    Model 2 blue
    Model 2 Red
    USA Candy Apple Red San Dimas
    USA Slime Green San Dimas
    MIJ ProMod Candy Blue San Dimas
    Gibson Les Pauls
    PRS SC-250

They have a truss-rod, its just adjusted at the heel, so you have to take the neck off

Comment

Thanks, i just figured that out. Wow, how hard is this to do? I have done truss rod adjustments on my Model series and other charvels (pointy stocks) but never had to take the neck off? How so I have to take strings and everything off? Wow, they just put way too much relief in this at the factory, my older charvel necks are dead on flat.
      750XL Cherry Sunburst
      375DX Metallic black
      Model 2 blue
      Model 2 Red
      Gibson Les Pauls
      PRS SC-250

Comment

Yeah neck heal adjustment is a pain. I have an old Tokai strat that adjusts that way and I hate it. If it isn't right you have to take it apart again and adjust. You can rout a little bit of the body away so you can get to it but it looks like crap imho.
        It's pronounced soops

Comment

Just loosen the strings a bit so the string tension is slack and take the neck bolts loose about 1/2 way slide the neck up and adj the truss rod.
          By the way block the trem before loosening the strings.
          Last edited by straycat; 02-27-2012, 10:32 PM.
          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I am just concerned with screwing up the heads of the neck screws, also these are not pressed in correct, so the body paint wont chip?
            750XL Cherry Sunburst
            375DX Metallic black
            Model 2 blue
            Model 2 Red
            Gibson Les Pauls
            PRS SC-250

Comment

Originally posted by titan7 View Post
              I am just concerned with screwing up the heads of the neck screws, also these are not pressed in correct, so the body paint wont chip?
              Use the correct sized screwdriver.No they are not pressed in they are screwed in.
              Be careful and you won't chip any paint.They don't have to screwed back in with an impact wrench just snug them up and all will be fine.
              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

thats why I wont own one. its the principal. the idea of taking the neck off to adjust the truss rod pisses me off. I mean I know they wanted it to be "vintage" all the way, but come on.......a little conveinence wouldnt have hurt.
                "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

I own a CX 290 for 3 weeks now,didn't achieve to set it up right because of this... It's a bloody mess to have to remove the neck then waiting for 1 or 2 days to see if it's tighten enough or not. I must say it's the first one I have with heel adjustment (except a Shergold, back in the days, but there was an extra neck plate for... ) and I really like the Model Series for making it easily ... This said, my pal uses several All Parts necks (they all got heel adjustement) and always tells me it's better for tone and sustain ...

Comment

That is why I love my Warmoth neck with adjustment on the side of the heel.-Lou
                    " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

Charvel was pioneering and innovative. Heel adjustments should have been tossed immediately. What kind of "hot rod" guitar has that bullshit? That's like having to pull the engine just to rejet the Webers...
                      "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

Comment

Originally posted by tonemonster View Post
                        thats why I wont own one. its the principal. the idea of taking the neck off to adjust the truss rod pisses me off. I mean I know they wanted it to be "vintage" all the way, but come on.......a little conveinence wouldnt have hurt.
                        Originally posted by Axegrinder87 View Post
                        Charvel was pioneering and innovative. Heel adjustments should have been tossed immediately. What kind of "hot rod" guitar has that bullshit? That's like having to pull the engine just to rejet the Webers...
                        Yeah, I agree. Some guys can deal with it, I just think about the inevitable paint chips around the neck pocket and/or how much more time I could have spent playing the guitar instead of playing with the truss rod.

It's not like the haven't built a head-adjust Strat-head neck with a Floyd nut or anything.

Comment

I wonder why they never used the wheel adjuster like on some of the custom shop guitars.Can it be something that could be done to the pro mods as a modification?

Comment

excellent idea.
                            "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                              They don't have to screwed back in with an impact wrench just snug them up and all will be fine.
                              Jesus NOW you tell me. Can we make this sticky for chrissake??

Comment

Working...
                              X