Putting a cap on an salvaged body

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Putting a cap on an salvaged body

So I've got this 475 dlx body with a lot of really deep scratches and chips in the paint. I'm no good with repainting and prefer the natural wood look anyway. Expectimg the body to be poplar and 2 or 3 piece without an eye given towards matching up the grain. I'm thinking about sanding off all the existing reddish pink original paint, then taking it to a shop with a large planer or more preferably a drum sander, removing 3/16" off of the front of the body with the sander, then gluing on a nice bookmatched flamey or quilty cap, then flush routing all the front cavities and roundovers. Finally I would be able to refinish with tru oil. Maybe dye the sides and back of the original body in the course of things as well. Anyone out there done something like this? How'd it turn out?

Ooh, I just realized that this approach would have the added benefit of allowing me to size-down the neckpocket and oversized trem stud holes invisably.

Comment

re-thinking 3/16" to instead be as deep as however deep the elbow contour is.

Comment

I think Warlok has done this to a Model 6?

(edit - it was Warlok not Ward - I got the W correct)
        Last edited by DonP; 02-28-2012, 09:42 AM.

Comment

That was Budman.
          Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

I did it on my Model 6 too. I used a piece of wood from a test guitar body to fill/level the forearm contour. Then made a box to route the top for the maple top. Here's the pics. http://s237.photobucket.com/albums/f...cpZZ1QQtppZZ16

And I followed Budman's ideas from doing his. http://audiozone.dk/index-filer/sb/c...oration-01.htm
            Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

That's just amazing work, good job.
              I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

Warlock, great job! What was the time line on that project? How long from start to finish? (yes pun was intended! )
                "I have so much gayness at times. My wife walks in my music room, and there I am, in my undies, listening to "Sister Christian" while lighting fireworks..doin' blow." - Bill Z

"I leave off the back plate and pinch my forskin between the tension springs. That may not work for everyone. But I find that the people love it. Half the tone is in the pud." - Bill Z

Comment

Wow, yeah that looks great. I didn't have the body in front of me when I started this thread and I think I vastly underestimated the depth of the forearm contour. Looks like filling that void is pretty much required. I don't think dye is gonna cut it hiding the resultant seam. Perhaps I can manage with black and clear rattle can laquer. Most of my fails painting in the past were due to being impatient with duplicolor acrilic enamel and from laying on too thick. We'll see how it goes. Thanks for the pix Warlock and for the link to Budman's project!

Comment

Radness! Always wanted to do something along the same lines, but living in an apartment the size of a box truck limits to what you can and can't do.

Comment

From stripping the paint to getting paint/clear on it was about a week and a half if I remember correctly. Then I waited a month before sanding/polishing the nitro and assembling. I used all the patience I had to keep from rushing and messing it up. Having/buying/making the right tools to help it all go smooth is very important. I was originally going to just use a router on the top of the body but asking a lot of questions brings up outstanding ideas (like the box to route the top). The guys here and Budman68's build page were invaluable to doing it right. Budman68's is head and shoulders above mine but I think it came out great for my first time modding a guitar like that.

BTW - for anyone who doesn't know. Budman68 is Dave from fretsonthenet.com. The guy's an amazing machinist... and obviously guitar modder..
                      Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Working...
                      X