Any ideas or advice on a DIY rattle can Refin? Snow Camo style

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any ideas or advice on a DIY rattle can Refin? Snow Camo style

OK folks. here is the deal. I bought a Dinky Rev this past summer with a scarf joint separation. I fixed the scarf joint. I paid $50 for the guitar. it plays well, no problems. but it is beat up. its seen its day, but is still a player. now here is the thing.... I wont sink any money into it as there is fret wear, the neck repair, etc... it was a cheap guitar and I intend to keep it that way. but its scratched up alot, has dings, chips, etc... so I was thinking of doing a "snow camo" graphic myself with some rattle cans. I have 2 cans of flat enamel here that would get me started. now, keep in mind.... I am NOT looking for a perfect job here, keep in mind its camo, so it dont have to be perfect it just has to be decent and not rub off with sweaty hands, etc.... I am not looking for a show room guitar. I am looking for something that is good from far, but far from good. know what I mean?? here is the canvas I have to work with:

any ideas on compatiblity of paints, etc... I want to keep the cost down on this as much as possible. if I cant do it without it getting too spendy, I wont. just looking for a fun project to do myself for cheap on a banged up guitar. Thanks in advance for any ideas!
    "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Very good guitars IMO the winter camo is a great idea.Cheap and easy too I would think.
    All you would need is white and clear.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

You need to rough up the finish so that the new paint has something to grab on to.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
        You need to rough up the finish so that the new paint has something to grab on to.
        Yea, I will use some scotch brite pads to scuff it and then degrease it with some thinner or degreaser.

Comment

Don't use enamel. It'll never cure enough.
          Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
          Sully Guitars on Facebook
          Sully Guitars on Google+
          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I did this with Dupli-color acrylic enamel...Drys fast cured in a day or two..and almost looks factory.

Last edited by john.w.lawson; 02-27-2012, 10:35 AM.
            I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

I did my Yellow and Black EVH tribute with good ole Krylon Acrylic Enamel. It does take longer to cure but if you are careful with it for a week or so it will be hard enough to use unless you bang it into furniture etc...I like the variety of colors that Krylon has. The Duplicolor seems not quite as vivid to me even with a good primer.
              "Rule number one: In my van, it's Rush. All Rush, all the time. No exceptions. Rule number two: Nobody touch the red button. And I mean never touch the red button. Most importantly, rule number three: There's no jerking it in my van!"

Kemper 600 watt Profiling Amp
              ENGL Powerball II
              Peavey 5150 4x12 Slant Cab
              Mesa 4 x 12 Slant Cab
              Marshall 2x12 Cab

2010 Jackson SL2H Trans Blue
              1988 Charvel 750XL Trans Cherry Burst
              1989 Charvel 750XL Trans Cherry Burst Hardtail
              2011 Jackson DK2M Blue
              2011 Jackson DK2M Black
              1987 Charvel Model 2 White
              2012 Charvel Dimartini Crossed Swords
              1991 Charvel Dinky 080-SH Blue Crackle
              1990 Grover Jackson Dinky Trans Purple
              2010 Jackson Mutt Slime Green
              2012 Charvel Jap Pro Mod Candy Blue
              2006 Gibson Les Paul Custom Black
              2003 Gibson Les Paul R9 Custom Shop Reissue
              2013 Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro Silverburst
              2013 Epiphone Plus Top Pro w/ Bonamassa pups
              2014 PRS SE Custom 24 Emerald Green
              1987 Tokai Silver Star Strat

Comment

Well, the refin is coming along well so far. its ready for clear coat. I am going to clear coat it next week.

Comment

I've never done a polyurethane refin but I've read that stripping that stuff off is a pain. I guess that's why most guys sand really well, then paint. I'll need to try one this summer. Here's a link to my nitrocellulous laquer refin I did last summer. It's now one of my fav to play. http://www.instructables.com/id/Worn...een-50s-Strat/

Comment

I know there are alot of nitrocel lovers out there. to each their own. I dont like the chemically reactive and potential cracking characteristics it has. I like the durability of poly finishes. they are practically impervious to anything short of a sherman tank. I have had guitars refined with automotive paints before, and it works awesome. it looks great, and it is very very durable stuff. I am taking my snow camo to my buddy to clear coat tomorrow. I did all the "graphics" on it. I sanded prepped, masked and painted the camo pattern, and I laid down the warbird themed waterslide decals. she is already for clear now. I also sanded and oiled up the neck really nice. this one was the one I bought with the separated scarf joint on the neck. I fixed that, and wanted to see if it would hold before I went any further with it. so 6 months later, its still good. so I sanded and oiled up the neck with about 4 or 5 coats of tru oil, its smooooooooooth. I cleaned up the hardware really good. so I am all set to assemble when he is done clear coating it. I will post pics of it when I get it finished.

Comment

OK, here is the finished product. a few disclaimers first...... #1, this was a $50 guitar I bought with a separated scarf joint. I repaired it and its been fine. Since it has held, I put some finish time into the neck repair, I sanded it and oiled the neck. its really nice. so I used automotive rattle cans for the camo, and then I had a buddy clear coat it for me when he was painting a car. its NOT a professional paint job, its just a hobbyist job. there are certainly imperfections on it. some of the camo job I wanted it to look distressed or old. its not easy to do, but I tried. overall I am really pleased with it. it was a fun project and I really enjoyed doing it. the WW2 warbird decals I got off ebay for $9.00 that is the girl, the name, and the rising suns, and the bombs. I did the numbers myself.

See the OP on this thread for the "before" pics.

and here is the final neck repair. the neck was not broken, just separated at the joint. I reglued it and its worked well.

Comment

You forgot to paint a peep on it
                        Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Great job. I think it turned out really well. How about I send you my new Charvel So-Cal and you paint a Lynch Kamakazi on it?

Comment

Yeah that looks good, man.

Also, nice cans!
                            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Damm nice job!!

Comment

Working...
                              X